dumb question?

Lord V

ok my brain is a little frazzled this afternoon and its a long long time since I have written a lisp. :oops:

I need a line in a lisp to select all objects that have a common point (in this case the start point of a polyline and the insertion points of block attributes in order to turn them into a block)

What should I be writting? Im ending up in a nightmare of ssget, ssadd, entsel and every other half remembered function.

(re-learning lisp with a stinking head cold is never a great idea by the way

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lt Dan's legs

• Lord V

• alanjt

• Lee Mac

Top Posters In This Topic

You may only need one ssget call. Something like this:

(ssget "X" (list (cons 10 pt)))

where pt is that common point. That should work for the starting point of a polyline, insertion point of block and insertion point of text. It'll select everything that has a DXF group code 10 associated with that point. I think group 10 is the most common for insertion point, but check here just in case:

http://autodesk.com/techpubs/autocad/acad2000/dxf/

I keep getting "bad ssget list value", although as far as i can see 10 should work.

Unless im missing something....

which is likely....

Check the point you're passing to the function.

(ssget "X" (list (cons 10 (list 0 0 0))))

will work, because DXF code 10 is getting a list, which it wants. This, however, won't:

(ssget "X" (list (cons 10 "why hello thar")))

because code 10 doesn't like strings.

I will admit im now baffled.

This is what I have written for selecting the polyline and attribute definitions and converting to block:

(ssget "x" (list (cons 10 (list 976.1774 821.7919 0.00))))

(command "block" "populate" "976.1774,821.7919")

(Command "insert" "populate" "976.1774,821.7919" "" "" "" "" "" "")

whence have I gone wrong? (other then everywhere) ....

Ahh, I see what you did there.

Bit of advice, whenever I work with command line calls like that and I'm getting error after error, I generally start with the first command call and keep daisy chaining it until I get it to work. That is to say, start with:

(command "block") and see what happens. Then,

(command "block" "populate") and see what happens. Then,

(command "block" "populate" "976.1774,821.7919") and see what happens.

Fortunately, in this case, it's easy to see once you do that. I'll save you the trouble: the block command needs the objects. You've gathered them nicely with your ssget call, but now you need to put those into the command function where you create your block. This should come just after the "976.1774,821.7919", which you'll see when you get there (the command prompt asks you for the objects you want).

Also, keep in mind that the ssget call MAY return nil, which will screw up your command call to create the block, and whatever else may come after.

Thanks for the quick reply... as I said my brain is seriously addled.... :-)

Realised what I was doing wrong pretty much as I posted my question.

Thanks though!

Question unrelated to this problem but I think it falls under a dumb question. I've selected my dynamic block with ssget, now how do I change the dynamic block length? I'm using one of Alan J's codes that works when inserting a block but is this the way to go when changing an existing block?

(vl-load-com)
   ((lambda (block)
      (foreach x (vlax-invoke block 'GetDynamicBlockProperties)
        (and (eq (vla-get-propertyname x) "Distance1")
             (vla-put-value
               x
                 (distance p1 p2)
             )
        )
      )
    )
)

As I am a dumb person:

I am currently writting two lisp routines that are (in theory) designed to repeat the same set of commands for "n" number of entities. Now both have the same error.

The first repetition works fine. However the second time round it throws up the error "too few arguments".

anyway here are the codes:

;============ Noise-RD.LSP ==================
;By Tristan Sly 
;============================================
;
(Defun C:NRD ()

(command "layer" "new" "G0-18h-DoMin-F" "")                                                                  ;Create layer for pl
(command "layer" "new" "G0-18h-DoMin-Tag" "")                                                                ;Create layer for tag
(command "layer" "new" "G0-18h-DoMin-Block" "")                                                              ;Create layer for block
(command "change" "all" "" "p" "LA" "G0-18h-DoMin-F" "")                                                          ; move rd plines to layer

(command "layer" "set" "G0-18h-DoMin-Tag" "")                                                                     ; set layer

(command "attdef" "" "tag" "prompt" "defaultvalue" "976.1774,821.7919" "2.500" "0" )                              ; Create attribute 1
(command "attdef" "" "tag2" "prompt2" "defaultvalue2" "976.1774,821.7919" "2.500" "0" )                           ; Create attribute 2
(command "attdef" "" "tag3" "prompt3" "defaultvalue3" "976.1774,821.7919" "2.500" "0" )                           ; Create attribute 3
(command "layer" "set" "G0-18h-DoMin-Block" "")                                                                   ; set layer

(command "block" "populate" "976.1774,821.7919,0.000" (ssget "x" (list (cons 10 (list 976.1774 821.7919 0.00)))) "")   ;create block                                                               
(Command "insert" "populate" "976.1774,821.7919" "" "" "" "" "" "")

(command "layer" "set" "G0-18h-DoMin-Tag" "")                                                                     ; set layer

(command "attdef" "" "tag" "prompt" "defaultvalue" "1463.9181,758.8268" "2.500" "0" )                              ; Create attribute 1
(command "attdef" "" "tag2" "prompt2" "defaultvalue2" "1463.9181,758.8268" "2.500" "0" )                           ; Create attribute 2
(command "attdef" "" "tag3" "prompt3" "defaultvalue3" "1463.9181,758.8268" "2.500" "0" )                           ; Create attribute 3
(command "layer" "set" "G0-18h-DoMin-Block" "")                                                                   ; set layer

(command "block" "populate1" "1463.9181,758.8268,0.000" (ssget "y" (list (cons 10 (list 1463.9181 758.8268 0.00)))) "") ;create block                                                                 
(Command "insert" "populate1" "1463.9181,758.8268" "" "" "" "" "" "")

;repeat ad nauseum

(command "attdisp" "off") 

(Princ)                                                                        ;clean exit
)
(princ "\n\tc:type NRD to start")

and

;============ Noise-RDL.LSP ==================
;By Tristan Sly 
;============================================
;
(Defun C:NRDL ()

(command "layer" "new" "me" "")
(command "change" (ssget "x" (list (cons 10 (list 976.1774 821.7919 0.00)))) "" "p" "la" "me" "" "")

(command "layer" "new" "me1" "")
(command "change" (ssget "y" (list (cons 10 (list 1635.2095 560.6183 0.00)))) "" "p" "la" "me1" "" "")

(Princ)                                                                        
)
(princ "\n\tc:type NRDL to start")

I am guessing its to do with the second ssget as it is at that point in both the error occurs, but I dont understand why as it works fine for the first entity.

Help please!

I don't think an ssget mode 'y' exists.

Have a read of this:

SSGET

the underscore (_) is needed with W, F, WP, :S but not with X, A, C, CP, I, L, P, :E ...

(ssget '(2 2)) 
Create a selection set of the object passing through (2,2):

+.  The undocumented “+.” mode forces (ssget) to remain in “point” mode, similar to 
   setting PickAuto to 0.... the "+." puts (ssget) into "point" mode. It helps the ":S"
   single-mode act just like (entsel) by avoiding implied selection windows.

A  All like "X" but filters frozen out
  Selects all objects on thawed layers.

B  Box 
  Selects all objects inside or crossing a rectangle specified by two points. If 
  the rectangle's points are specified from right to left, Box is equivalent to 
  Crossing. Otherwise, Box is equivalent to Window.

C  Crossing  Simular to Window selection
  Selects objects within and crossing an area defined by two points. A crossing 
  selection is displayed as dashed or otherwise highlighted to differentiate it 
  from window selection. Specifying the corners from right to left creates a 
  crossing selection. *** (Specifying the corners from left to right creates a window 
  selection.)  (ssget "_C" '(0 0) '(1 1))
  Caution: the area must be on the screen for this to work properly - CAB

CP Crossing Polygon 
  Selects objects within and crossing a polygon defined by specifying points. The 
  polygon can be any shape but cannot cross or touch itself. AutoCAD draws the 
  last segment of the polygon so that it is closed at all times. CPolygon is not 
  affected by the PICKADD system variable.
  (ssget "_CP" '((1 1)(3 1)(5 2)(2 4)))
  Example with filters (ssget "_CP" '(Point list) '(Filter List))
  (setq ss (ssget "_CP" '((0 0)(10 0)(10 10)(0 10)) '((0 . "INSERT") (66 . 1))  ))
  Caution: the area must be on the screen for this to work properly - CAB
  (vl-cmdf "._zoom" "_E") ; Extents

Duplicates OK, else duplicates are ignored

:E Everything in aperture 
  Everything within the cursor's object selection pickbox.

F Fence 
 Selects all objects crossing a selection fence. The Fence method is similar to 
 CPolygon except that AutoCAD does not close the fence, and a fence can cross 
 itself. Fence is not affected by the PICKADD system variable.

G Groups 
 Selects all objects within a specified group.

I Implied 
 Implied selection (objects selected while PICKFIRST is in effect).

L Last 
 Last visible object added to the database

:L Rejects locked layers 

M  Multiple 
  Specifies multiple points without highlighting the objects, thus speeding up 
  the selection process for complex objects. The Multiple method also selects two 
  intersecting objects if the intersection point is specified twice.

:N Nested 
  Call ssnamex for additional information on container blocks and transformation 
  matrices for any entities selected during the ssget operation. This additional 
  information is available only for entities selected via graphical selection 
  methods such as Window, Crossing, and point picks.

Unlike the other object selection methods, :N may return multiple entities with 
  the same entity name in the selection set. For example, if the user selects a 
  subentity of a complex entity such as a BlockReference, PolygonMesh, or old 
  style polyline, ssget looks at the subentity that is selected when determining 
  if it has already been selected. However,  ssget actually adds the main entity 
  (BlockReference, PolygonMesh, etc.) to the selection set. The result could be 
  multiple entries with the same entity name in the selection set (each will have 
  different subentity information for ssnamex to report).

P  Previous 
  Selects the most recent selection set. The Previous selection set is cleared by 
  operations that delete objects from the drawing. AutoCAD keeps track of whether 
  each selection set was specified in model space or paper space. The Previous 
  selection set is ignored if you switch spaces.

Rejects Viewport 

:R Allows entities in a long transaction to be selected.

:S Force single object selection only 

:U Enables subentity selection - 2006+
Cannot be combined with the  duplicate (":D") or nested (":N")  selection modes.
In this  mode, top-level  entities are  selected by  default, but  the user  can
attempt  to  select  subentities  by pressing  the  CTRL  key  while making  the
selection. This option  is supported only  with interactive selections,  such as
window, crossing, and polygon. It is  not supported for all, filtered, or  group
selections.

:V Forces subentity selection - 2006+
Treats all interactive,  graphic selections performed  by the user  as subentity
selections. The returned  selection set contains  subentities only. This  option
cannot be combined with the  duplicate (":D") or nested (":N")  selection modes.
This option is  supported only with  interactive selections, such  as window and
crossing. It is not supported for all, filtered, or group selections.

W  Window 
  Selects all objects completely inside a rectangle defined by two points. 
  Specifying the corners from left to right creates a window selection. 
  (Specifying the corners from right to left creates a crossing selection.)

WP Window Polygon 
  Selects objects completely inside a polygon defined by points. The polygon can 
  be any shape but cannot cross or touch itself. AutoCAD draws the last segment of 
  the polygon so that it is closed at all times. WPolygon is not affected by the 
  PICKADD system variable.

X  Extended search (search whole database) 
  Entire database. If you specify the X selection method and do not provide a 
  filter-list, ssget selects all entities in the database, including entities on 
  layers that are off, frozen, and out of the visible screen.

Also at the command prompt "Select objects:" you can enter
  Add, Remove, Undo, 

:U Enables subentity selection. Cannot be combined with the duplicate (":D") or 
  nested (":N") selection modes. In this mode, top-level entities are selected by 
  default, but the user can attempt to select subentities by pressing the CTRL key 
  while making the selection. This option is supported only with interactive 
  selections, such as window, crossing, and polygon. It is not supported for all, 
  filtered, or group selections.

:V Forces subentity selection. Treats all interactive, graphic selections 
  performed by the user as subentity selections. The returned selection set 
  contains subentities only. This option cannot be combined with the duplicate 
  (":D") or nested (":N") selection modes. This option is supported only with 
  interactive selections, such as window and crossing. It is not supported for 
  all, filtered, or group selections.

Systen Var
 PICKADD controls whether subsequent selections replace the current selection set or add to it.

That makes sense, however when I repeat "x" mode it still fails. Instead of running the ssget it tries to repeat the defun.

but only on the layer one, for some reason the block one is now working.

I get the following from the command line:

c:type NRDL to start
Command:
Command: nrdl
layer
Current layer:  "0"
Enter an option 
[?/Make/Set/New/ON/OFF/Color/Ltype/LWeight/MATerial/Plot/Freeze/Thaw/LOck/Unlock
/stAte]: new
Enter name list for new layer(s): me Enter an option 
[?/Make/Set/New/ON/OFF/Color/Ltype/LWeight/MATerial/Plot/Freeze/Thaw/LOck/Unlock
/stAte]:
Command: change
Select objects:   1 found
Select objects: Specify change point or [Properties]: p
Enter property to change 
[Color/Elev/LAyer/LType/ltScale/LWeight/Thickness/Material/Annotative]: la
Enter new layer name <0>: me
Enter property to change 
[Color/Elev/LAyer/LType/ltScale/LWeight/Thickness/Material/Annotative]:
Command: NRDL Unknown command "NRDL".  Press F1 for help.
Command: layer
Current layer:  "0"
Enter an option 
/stAte]: new
Enter name list for new layer(s): me1 Enter an option 
/stAte]:
Command: change
Select objects:
Command: p Unknown command "P".  Press F1 for help.
Command: la Unknown command "LA".  Press F1 for help.
Command: me1 Unknown command "ME1".  Press F1 for help.
Command:

The Unknown command you are receiving it when the "" that are used are trying to repeat the command.

The ssget was perhaps returning nil to the command line, hence cancelling the command, and so the "" were trying to repeat the last command.