glazing problems

br0604bom

if someone has the answer to this I will be very grateful,

I have four pieces of glazing to go into a window, and having put them on different layers, I have changed the colour of one piece of glazing, but the other pieces are changing along with the one I am wanting to change, any answers guys??

they are on different layers, but they still seem to all want to change colour!!!!

many thanks to someone with the answer

They must all be Components. This is how a component is designed to behave, you edit it and it changes all others (like a block in cad)

You could explode the component, make sure it is selected then right click and make group.

This will make it a separate item and then the group can be placed on the correct layer.

Remember not to draw things on different layers in SU. Only use the layers to control visibility by placing groups and components on them.

They must all be Components. This is how a component is designed to behave, you edit it and it changes all others (like a block in cad)

You could explode the component, make sure it is selected then right click and make group.

This will make it a separate item and then the group can be placed on the correct layer.

Remember not to draw things on different layers in SU. Only use the layers to control visibility by placing groups and components on them.

thanks DYL,

I will have a look into it, but as far as I am aware they are not components!

having just gone back to it, the same thing is happening, and they are definitely not components, just created one surface, push/pull to 3mm, then did the same for the second piece of glass, push/pull to 3mm, and when I highlight one and change the colour to it, the other unhighlighted bit changes along with it,

any ideas gratefully recieved

• 3 weeks later...

br0604,

Could you post the file? When you click on the object is there a blue box surrounding it? If there is don't double-click to get inside just put the paint dropper over and click. It shouldn't change the color for the objects if they're not in the same blue box.

br0604,

Could you post the file? When you click on the object is there a blue box surrounding it? If there is don't double-click to get inside just put the paint dropper over and click. It shouldn't change the color for the objects if they're not in the same blue box.

I have not made them into groups or components, and when I do there seems less manageability with them, so here it is in it's pre-group state, and as you can see, I have it highlighted and when i go into the material editor and change colour it is actually changing the colour of an unselected plane. the one on the far left, what's that all about??!!!!

3308dn6.jpg

Yeah. You're going to have attach your sketchup file. I have no clue what it's doing without looking more closely at it.

Yeah. You're going to have attach your sketchup file. I have no clue what it's doing without looking more closely at it.

I have attached images before through tinypics but never a sketchup file, how do you attach a sketchup file?

well, it does not work through tinypic!!!

instead of .skp type .jpg or .pdf and I (or others) will download and rename the file extension back to what it's supposed to be.

instead of .skp type .jpg or .pdf and I (or others) will download and rename the file extension back to what it's supposed to be.

tried it that way many times and it continually fails to upload, thanks all the same