Select Similar not allowed

JamyB

I can't seem to figure this one out.

I'm working with AutoCAD 2008, and when I do the SELECTSIMILAR command I get a message saying 'Command not allowed because drawing contains objects from a newer version of this application.' Does anyone know how I can find these object to either delete/explode them, or if I have to tweak things so my SELECTSIMILAR works again.

Thanks.

Are you working in plain 2008 or one of the verticals? I ask because that command was not in plain AC until 2010 as an add-on and 2011 it is built in. It is in some of the verticals like Architecture and Civil.

What do you mean by verticals? But I am working in the full version of 2008 Architecture.

There is AutoCAD and then there are products built on top of AutoCAD, hence the term Vertical Products. Vertical products include Architecture, Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, P&ID, to name a few.

I am guessing that you started you copy of Architecture using an icon that only starts AutoCAD and so the additional functionality of Arch is not there. If that is not the case then a path is missing or your cui is missing a piece of its puzzle. Anything changed recently at the office, added software, removed software, updated software, etc.?

It's very important to specify exactly which version of which program you are using when you post a question.

I have moved this question to the Architecture & ADT forum.

I am guessing that you started you copy of Architecture using an icon that only starts AutoCAD and so the additional functionality of Arch is not there. If that is not the case then a path is missing or your cui is missing a piece of its puzzle. Anything changed recently at the office, added software, removed software, updated software, etc.?

No this is the same AutoCAD Architecture 2008 I use day to day. the SELECTSIMILAR will work in one drawing but not in another. It seems it simply has to do with the 'objects from a newer version' that disabled the command.

No this is the same AutoCAD Architecture 2008 I use day to day. the SELECTSIMILAR will work in one drawing but not in another. It seems it simply has to do with the 'objects from a newer version' that disabled the command.

It looks like you received a drawing that someone has opened and saved in a newer version of Autocad Architecture. You could try purging and auditing the drawing to see if it was an item that was used, then deleted. Other than that, I have no idea. You can try to write block the items from the drawing into a new version and see if that takes care of the problem.

It looks like you received a drawing that someone has opened and saved in a newer version of Autocad Architecture. You could try purging and auditing the drawing to see if it was an item that was used, then deleted. Other than that, I have no idea. You can try to write block the items from the drawing into a new version and see if that takes care of the problem.

Indeed I think that is what happen. Purging and deleting didn't fix it. Even after I exploded everything. But WRITEBLOCK did fix the problem. I used the same version, and copied the entire drawing.

Thank you!

Indeed I think that is what happen. Purging and deleting didn't fix it. Even after I exploded everything. But WRITEBLOCK did fix the problem. I used the same version, and copied the entire drawing.

Thank you!

it looks like there was one AEC object that had been used, then deleted. When you write blocked the file, you brought all the other objects over, minus the one causing the problem. Glad it worked out for you.