Defining the right scale for a viewport - to print 1/100.

zionshea

Hello,

I want to use viewports for printing.

1. How can I define the proerties of each viewport to print in the exact scale?

my Drawing Units = Centimeter and the Annotation Scale in the model = "1:1".

How should I define the Viewport parameters (Annotation Scale?, Standard Scale?, Custom Scale?) and the plotting parameters (to a pdf) (Scale?, 1 mm - ???? units?), in order to get a correct (1/100) scale in the pdf file?

I doble clicked the Viewport and then used the command "Zoom 1/100xp", then the viewport zomed-in to a level that I actually could not see anything on that viewport.

Please advise.

Thanks, zion.

You should draw in model space at full size (1:1).

Set your paperspace viewport at the scale you want (1/100xp or 0.01xp).

Plot your drawing from paper space at 1:1.

You say that your viewport zoomed to a level where you could not see anything so-

What how big is your geometry in model space?

What how big is your viewport in paperspace? (It could be too big or too small to show your geometry).

After you have scaled the viewport have you panned inside it to get your geometry into it?

If you are not sure where your viewport is zoomed into in modelspace try-

double click in the viewport to open it, draw a rectangle that fills it, go to the model space tab and zoom extents to see where the rectangle is. That is where your viewport is looking through into model space.

Hello Nukecad,

In model space, the size of the geometry is about 240 meters (24000 centi meters) and the height is about 87 meters.

The paperspace is 3000 millimeters on 950 milimeters, which looks OK to for the scale of 1/100.

Actualy all fits perfetcly but the scale is not exactly correct after printing.

The Layout (model) VP Scale currently shows : 0.000300, which is almost good but I do not know how this number is caculated...

As explaied before, when I set the Annotation Scale of the model to 1:1 and I set the VP scale to "zoom 1/100 xp" the VP is displayed extremely zoomed in so that I can barely see a single line in that VP. Hope I am clear with these clarifications.

Thaks for your help.

When I scale a viewport, I don't use the zoom 1:100 thingy.

I simply set up the page layout as shown then viewport properties in the Properties box as shown. Notice the Plot scale is 1:1. Are you changing that? That controls the size of your entire page in relation to the paper size.

pagemgr.jpg

viewprop.jpg

Thanks Dana,

Your answer actually solved my problem - thanks for your effort and the included screen-shots.

I have one more question regarding Dashed lines - for that I will oper a new threads.