Inventor file issues

harley558

For about the past week while working in inventor when I go to save something it has directed me to my LOCAL DISK, PROGRAM FILES, INVENTOR 2010, SAMPLES, MODELS....wanting me to save my files there. Before it would save them in the folder I had created for those particular files. Is there a setting so that it will save the file in the correct location and not redirect me to my LOCAL DISK. Also in creating a part I get the message "THE FILE INTO WHICH YOU ARE PLACING COMPONENT HAS NOT BEEN SAVED> THIS MAY CAUSE PROBLEMS IN RESOLVING LINKS"...this message appeared about the same time the first issue started.

There is no active project, it is a new one that I have actually created a folder(s) for to place my ipt parts in. When I go to see where it is saving it it has redirected to abovementioned folder.

Uhmmm, there is an active project whether you realize it or not.

And your active project is the Samples.

Let me guess - you don't use projects (*.ipj)?

With no files open click on the projects icon.

Holding the Alt key hit the Print Screen key.

Go to MS Paint and hit Ctrl v

Save the file and attach here.

JD Wrote, "With no files open click on the projects icon."

You mean to tell me if you click on this icon no Projects dialog box pops up. Hard to believe. Very hard to believe.

Projects.png

i have never clicked on that....you have got to be the biggest smartass on this board

I thought it was a pretty simple instruction.

Let's try again.

With no files open click on the Projects icon.

Screen capture the dialog box and attach the image here.

It doesn't sound like to me that you are at all familiar with Projects (*.ipj) even though that is critically important when working with Inventor files.

In order to help I need to know what your current active project setting is, as I requested in my first response to your problem statement.

I didn't intend for this to turn into a game of twenty questions to find out what your active project is.

I apologize for my outburst, I will get back with you on Monday morning as to the icon issue. I havent never used that icon because it has never been pointed out to me.

You can set up one master project or a project for each job.

To set up a master project create a folder and then create a project that points to that folder. Then create sub folders for each job.

or

Create a folder of each job and create project for each job that points to the appropriate folder.

Because Inventor files are hyperlinked to each other this method helps Inventor quickly find the files. There are other considerations associated with Projects, but at this point you should just worry about getting one set up.

To change projects you cannot have any files open. Double click on the project you wish to have active from the list. You will see a checkmark next to the active project.

screen.jpg

okay JD here is what my project screen looks like....lets not start this week off with remarks that are uncalled for. I have never worked with ipj files, honestly didn't know they existed. Like I said earlier IV just started about a week ago telling me my ipts were not in current projects file. I didn't have a clue as to what was happening. From what I have gathered you are saying that I need to create a projects file for each project I work on (where I work a good bit of our stuff is found based on client and size, so everything does have seperate folders and locations).