Question on multipart sheetmetal workflow.

MrJoshua

I have become quite familiar with the inventor sheet metal tools.

I use them every day to produce flat patterns for our Hi Def plasma cutter.

One problem that has bugged me for quite a while now is how do i go about making a sheetmetal part that has multiple pieces that require welding once cut and bent?

I know you can make the first part, then insert it into an assembly and then create a new part, but the 2 parts then dont interact with one another. I cant use such commands as corner seams and mitreing of flanges etc.. (to then create flat patterns)

This has become quite frustrating and time consuming having to manually edit each and every external mitre between parts often ending up with obscure results.

I have racked my brain and played with any option i can think of to create 2 flat patterns within a sheetmetal part to no avail.

Can someone point me in a new direction?

I have attached a real quick example of a typical sheetmetal part i deal with.

As you can see there is no possible way to create 2 flat patterns.

Any help on this work flow would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Josh

Clipboard01.jpg

I think you are going to want to use Multi-body solids with Derived Components.

Technically Multi-body doesn't support sheet metal but there is an easy workaround.

the other option uses Derived Component as well - model first part and Derive Component as Composite into second part.

I will try to work up an example later today (or you could attach your example here).

Thx for the reply JD,

seems there is a problem with the forum, none of replys have shown up. The forum has eaten them.

tonight when i get home ill post up again.

thx for your time.

cheers josh

• 2 weeks later...

MrJoshua

The forum didn't eat your posts. Only you tried to post hyperlinks -and that's not allowed for the new members. This is a way to keep apart spammers from this site.

Wait until your post counter shows 10 and you will get more rights.

Ahh i see, thx for the info.

Thanks for the reply JD,

The be honest i dont fully understand the derive command, i have played with it a few times but i really dont understand what i am actually doing. I have thought i have done it right but when i view the assembly that i just created there are no parts within??.

I have a done a quick sketch up of a typical sheetmetal part i deal with every day, this took me 5 mins using nothing but the sheetmetal tools. If i was to do it the otherway (as in create an assembly and draw all parts within then have to edit each part manually so they "fit together") it would easily take me half an hour and then i would still have atleast one problem/error.

The idea of the example is to create 2 flat patterns from the 2 seperate solid bodies, nearly all the sheetmetal parts i make need to be welded.

Any help/advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated..

On a side note, does solidworks allow multibody sheetmetal parts?

PS i tried to upload the IPT file to the forum but its to big. so i will attach a PDF file instead.

Cheers Josh

Example.pdf

On a side note, does solidworks allow multibody sheetmetal parts?

PS i tried to upload the IPT file to the forum but its to big. so i will attach a PDF file instead.

Cheers Josh

Yes.

To attach an ipt file here drag the red End of Part (or End of Folded for sheet metal) to the top of the browser hiding all features. Save the file in a rolled up state. Right click on the filename in Windows Explorer and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Attach the resultin g *.zip file here.

There are a couple of good solutions to your problem - I'll post examples when I get a chance. I would prefer to use one of your real problems to demonstrate the techniques if you can attach here (created using any method you can muster)

Here is my first attempt.

Pull down the EOF in each part (starting with Multipart Master - you will get an error, but ignore).

Make sure all files are in the same folder.

I simplified the technique of creating your part - it returns an error in the Master, because of course that cannot be unfolded.

The part is then derived into individual parts.

I left a bit of clearance for manufacturing tolerance and assembly (see Thicken Features in Base part).

Multipart Master.zip

Base.zip

Box Flange.zip

Weldment.zip

Awsome stuff thx JD

But i do need a little help with the work flow.

As i understand it, you created the whole model first? then "cut" the indivual parts into seperate files using the derive command? then created a weldment at the end to tie up loose ends?

Thx again for your help.

Cheers Josh

Any changes made to the master file will be updated in the derived parts. So you can model as the finished design will look in the master and then devide it up as needed. You could add the weld beads in the weldment assembly if you need for 2D drawing documentation (or just add symbols rather than modeling the beads).

Hopefully the next release will include multi-body sheetmetal to make this all a lot easier.

Thx so much for your time JD, i will have a play with this over the weekend and get my head around the derive command :)

And yes cant wait for inventor 2012 :)