Big assembly

dgaudreau

Hi,

I'm currently working with big assemblies and I was wondering if the way I am working is good or not. My goal is to make the big assembly with about 10 sub-assembly. The problem is some ass'y are positionned by other assembly. Ex: I currently have a conveyor that has panel that are attached on the frame. I want the conveyor and the panels to be in the same assembly. What I did is I put the frame in that ass'y, make it appear as a reference in the bom and after positionning my parts, I wuppressed it.

Is this a good way to do it?

Anyone have other solutions? It's not actually working the way I would like it to work. When I place that sub-assembly in the main assembly, even though I save the sub-assembly with parts suppressed, those part aren't suppressed, it comes back to the master lod. When I want to make it go to the other lod I made, I need to create a lod in the main assembly... Does anybody can help me?

Out of curiosity why do you want certain assemblies within other assemblies? Is this for your BOM structure or some other reason?

Im having a hard time understanding the layout but I would avoid duplicate components used for positioning then hidden. You shouldnt need to move parts or assemblies within other assemblies just for positioning. If you are having issues with motions in your assemblies you need to make them flexible. If the sub assemblies are not flexible they will be considered rigid which may be giving you positioning issues.

Can you provide a screen shot or some more information about the assemblies.

Actually, I want to have those sub-assembly to correspond to blocks. I have a base machine which includes the frame, the main conveyor, and some options like an other conveyor at the end. What I want is to have a number for those "blocks". That way, we could say ok lets start the main conveyor, we go look at the bom of the main conveyor print all the drawings needed and then bring them on the floor. What I want is to divide that machine into blocks: frame, conveyor, electrical components.. I did try to make my sub-assembly flexible but I couldn't make it work like I wanted: I have a conveyor under the main conveyor in the machine. This conveyor is optionnal, this is why I want all the parts of that conveyor in the same assembly: the conveyor itself and the jumpdrive which consist of a shaft bolted on a plate that is bolted on the frame. What I'd like to do is positionned those parts and constrain them to the frame. I don't want to do something like, put a constrain on the plate of the jumpdrive to give it a distance from the conveyor because if I change the holes on the frame, that plate won't follow. I cannot give you picture for the moment since I'm not currently at work...