Imported Autocad geometry won't extrude

momentumbob

In the recent past I have imported 2d Autocad geometry into an Inventor sketch and have then extruded it. Today, I can import Autocad geometry, fully constrain and dimension it and it steadfastly refuses to accept it as valid closed region. I have done this previously with very complex profiles. Currently it won't even do it for a square. It will work for an imported circle but this capability is of little use to me considering how easy it is to draw a circle in Inventor. Anyone got any suggestions of where to go with this one ?

Have you turned off Constraint Persistence?

Anyone got any suggestions of where to go with this one ?

Attach the file here.

I have not turned off constraint persistence. I don't know what is that function or how to toggle it. I'll try and figure out how to attach a file and send along the simple autocad square.

In my test cases, with simple profiles (square,circle) I just drew them using the Autocad rectangle and circle commands. I have fully constrained and dimensioned these simple shapes in the sketch environment.The more complex profiles that I have used in the past and would like to use in the future are drawn by others. I can't vouch for their purity. As I previously indicated, the imported circle will extrude, the square will extrude if I project the geometry of the square onto a new work plane, the more complex geometry will not respond to any work around that I have tried.

Edited by momentumbob

I'll try and figure out how to attach a file and send along the simple autocad square.

Right click on the filename and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Respond to this thread and click Go Advanced. Click the paperclip to attach the *.zip file here.

Test box.zipO.K. This is my little test file where I just imported a box. Sorry for the delay, but work keeps intruding. If it turns out to be a no brainer solution and I still can't get the larger files to work I'll forward one of them.

Thanks

Bob

Edited by momentumbob

Thanks for your help. Simpleton that I am, I understood that when the sketch line changed colour it was an indication that it was fully constrained. The profile that I am trying to extrude requires over 1600 dimensions when I automatically dimension it in sketch mode. Will I have to examine every single sketch element for proper constraint to ensure that it is recognized as a closed entity in order to extrude it ?

I have $10 that says there is a problem in the original AutoCAD file that can be fixed in AutoCAD before import.

Also, sometimes using autoconstrain/dimension can cause two points on a short line to collapse to one point. The line is still there, but the profile has been changed and therefore will not work. Kind of hard to explain without an example. I used to have a good one, but I have discarded it long ago.

If you could attach your actual dwg I might be able to pinpoint the problem.

If you have 2010 or later you might not even fool with constraining. Make a block in AutoCAD and bring it into Inventor as a block.

ES 23055 ND profile.zipI have tried importing the Autocad geometry with the entity as both a polyline and a region. The latter of which usually guarantees a pretty clean drawing, in my experience. Attached are sketches of the profile. The one that I dimensioned ES-23055 profile) was a polyline. The other (ES-23055 ND) was a region. I am running Inventor 2011 on an HP Z600 work station. I appreciate the time that you are devoting to this, thanks.

Oops. The dimensioned profile exceeded the allowable file size limit. You only have the un-dimensioned sketch.

Bob

ES 23055 ND profile.zipIt looks like my first attempt at a response disappeared into the ether. I have tried importing the Autocad geometry from a profile that is a polyline and also as a region. In my experience, the region seems to ensure a pretty clean drawing. Neither one worked for me. I can send the profile as it was imported from an entity that existed as a region. I couldn't attach the dimensioned file since it is larger than allowed by the web site.

Thanks, JD. I wasn't aware that patterning could cause an issue. I have extruded similar profiles successfully from the same source in the past but they must have been drawn differently. I'm well on my way to designing the tooling in Autocad 3d, with which I am surprisingly proficient. I'll sure miss the Inventor when it comes to detailing all the component parts. Despite the difficulty Inventor gives me at the design level it absolutely kills Autocad at the detailing level. Have a good day.

Thanks

Bob

The part doesn't normally come fully dimensioned from the source so its easier just to use the Autocad file if you can. It also precludes the possibility of making an error in the re-draw. We're always looking for an edge in productivity.

Thanks again

Bob