funny extrusion byproduct

gargoyle27

i have an extrusion with a round bottom that i am circular patterning around a ring, and the extrusions intersect with the next one over, which is what i want, the problem is that they intersect at 15 degrees so the bottom makes a funny shape where they meet, i know exactly why they make this shape, but i would like it to have a smooth bottom

anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

here is the file in question

round bottomed extrusion problem.zip

Here is one solution.

My question is how are you going to machine that? Often the machining process determines the best way to cut the feature. I suspect you will need to make a change based on the machining process.

Wait, you are using earlier release so you won't be able to open my file.

Extrude From - To a surface.

...or

Extrude shape from top then add fillets to bottom.

EXP42 - SPIDER FLANGE_JD.zip

Extrude From To.png

ok, i got work planes going through the centre of those holes and extruded to-from them and now i have a infinitely thin piece of material between each one, what did i do wrong?

edit: i think they'll be using a ball mill bit...don't know it's technical name

Edited by gargoyle27

now i have a infinitely thin piece of material between each one, what did i do wrong?

Attach the file here.

i think they'll be using a ball mill bit...don't know it's technical name

Would result in a different geometry - I'll show the ball end mill results when I get a chance.

You are still using trig (rounded off) for Sketch3. Use angle dimension. I have never ever seen a reason to round stuff off when you an use geometric construction.

I can'f figure out what the purpose of WorkAxis4? Isn't it the same as the Origin Z Axis? In any case I didn't use workplanes - I Extruded a surface (open lines). I used midpoints of projected arcs rather than hole locations as the hole location was rounded from calculation.

weird, i wouldn't have used the center distance if i knew it was actually just an angle, i was just given the center distance so i used it, but yeah, changing that angle from 7.4999 to a 7.5 and using it instead of that c-c fixed it, thanks again, you're always a life saver

i might not have changed the round off to an angle the first time because i didn't know what you meant, and it wasn't causing a problem at the time

and yeah you're right, i had been using the center of the two holes but just to see if it would help i redefined the axies from the inside hole to the center of the ring, it was easier than finding the center axis in the list