Help on very tricky Flange, please.

ThomasT1976

Hello, (first post)

The attached file (PDF)/task is giving my a big headache.

The middle is pretty easy, but the "wings" is very diffucult I think. Please look at the 2D twice, because I got cheated :)

Could any of you experts give my some advice/hints how to draw it in Inventor 2009-2011, please. I'm pretty advanced, but here I really got in trouble :cry:

Best regards

ThomasT1976, Denmark

Flange.zip

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JD Mather

• ThomasT1976

• shift1313

• MrJoshua

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like a pretty simple part. Attach the ipt file of what you have been able to complete so far.

Edited by JD Mather

Looks like a pretty simple part. Attach the ipt file of what you have been able to complete so far.

looks like a royal pita to me:)

ThomasT, do you have any other images or is this all you ahve to work off? B-B cross section doesnt have a radius for the top edge.

I would probably start with a Loft. Forget about the sunked area for the bolt holes at C-C and A-A for now. I would draw half of the cross section at C-C, half at B-B and half at A-A then loft between those 3. Make sure your start and end relations are tangent to their work planes. I dont have IV09-11 here at work but if i get a chance ill try to draw something up in solidworks to show you what i mean.

Edited by shift1313

thomas. ive attached a quick iges file i made. I didnt pay attention to your dimensions on purpose. Is this similar to what you want to produce? Looks like some sort of rotary pump or actuator part.

Thank you very much for trying, but I'm afraid that isn't it. It looks a little of that I made myself. JD Mathers model is spot on. I can't measure on it with my viewer, but it looks very right! Thanks a lot. Can you please hint me in Inventor how to make it? My customer needs a IPT-file for his CNC-mill.

By the way I post with a copy of my IPT, but I hasn't been released by the moderator yet.

Again THANKS!

flange.dxf

Here is my solution. I think the given views were simplified a bit. (see my drawin, oops, forgot to add the 39 dimension in Set C-C, but you get the idea)

I looks very good!! Do you have the possibility to upload a IGES or IPT of it? If not can you give me a hint how to make it in Inventor?

I forgot that I have a ACAD version of it too:

By the way I post with a copy of my IPT, but I hasn't been released by the moderator yet.

You need to zip the ipt just like you did for the pdf before attaching.

Drag the red End of Part marker in the browser up hiding all features.

Save the file in a rolled up state.

Right click on the filename and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

Attached is image of Step1 using my technique.

Step1.png

Create Sketch4 as shown. Notice that all but one dimension is a function of Sketch1. (Simply dimension and click on dimension in Sketch1 for reference - I have hidden Sketch1 dimensions for clarity.

Sketch4.png

Change the horizontal line to construction and add the R1333 arc as shown.

Mirror to the other side and change all on the mirrored side to construction linetype.

Finish Sketch4.png

I just discovered where the (54.09) reference dimension came from.

If I add a horizontal construction line and make the arc tangent (or make sure the center of the arc is on the centerline) the dimension is referenced as 54.089 which rounds to 54.09. I would use the geometry solution.

Sketch4 Rev1.png

Start Sketch5 and Project Geomety the construction side of Sketch4. Change to normal linetype.

Attach here what you have completed so far.

Sketch5.png

Start Sketch5 and Project Geomety the construction side of Sketch4. Change to normal linetype.

Attach here what you have completed so far.

Thank you very very much! It is night here in Denmark now. I'll try in the morning at work. It is great with all the help here!! :)