Flat pattern a boat hull

Krylbo

( I can't open this part)

the question you need to ask is - Is this how you would build it?!

Inventor sheet metal only works with folded or rolled parts, not moulded or vacumed formed parts.

Here's a few tips on making sure that your flat pattern can be created. Don't forget:

The thickness must be constant.

The shape must be built from flat planes, cylindars and cones.

There must be a break.

http://docs.autodesk.com/INVPRO/2010/ENU/Autodesk%20Inventor%202010%20Help/files/WS73099cc142f4875538d2e113a875e9c9-7d2c.htm

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Product_Help/Autodesk_Inventor/Autodesk_Inventor_2011/103Parts/1344Sheetmetalparts/1373Sheetmetaltips

Edited by Pablo Ferral

Here comes the left side panel of the boat hull.

If I get the panels flat patterned, cut and then rolled the boat hull is going to be welded of 4 aluminium panels, 1 side panel and 1 bottom panel on each side.

The side panel is lofted with rails and then thickened to 5mm in Inventor 2009.:cry:

I have now access to Inventor 2010.

Side panel.zip

I have now access to Inventor 2010.

You will need to figure out how to create from panels that are planar, trimmed cylindrical or conic, or Lofted Flange. Those are the geometric features that will unfold in Inventor. I thought your original model was more complicated than it needed to be. I would not bother to fool with 2009 as it did not have Lofted Flange.

I could open this one, ta.

It looks like your shape is deformed i.e. not made up of regular cones and cylinders, which probably means that you couldn't get this shape rolled by a metal worker - it would have bashed out by a panel beater instead. This can be the problem with sweeps and lofts, it's all to easy to create features that can't be manufactured. If you want to get this part to unfold in Inventor, you may need to re-think your geometry...

Like what JD said...