threaded hole on an angle

gargoyle27

i need to drill and thread a hole that is parallel to one face, but on a 30* angle with the other face, how do i do that?

it goes from the blue circle, to the center of the larger hole at the green circle (its approximately 30* anyway), i have attached the file as well

angled hole drilling problem.zip

angled hole problem.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JD Mather

• gargoyle27

• kencaz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

for some reason i thought there might be an easier way, what if i don't know the actual angle but i know it goes through the center of that other hole, and where it starts? can i somehow use a work point to make a hole and just make it pass through the center of that other hole?

There is always a way to use geometry when dimensions are not known. But I am not familiar with communicating hypothetical situations - I have to have a part file. In this case it could have been done with a revolve-cut and thread rather than creating the workplane and Hole feature, but I would not have created the part the way you did right from the beginning. Whatever works.

There is always a way to use geometry when dimensions are not known. But I am not familiar with communicating hypothetical situations - I have to have a part file. In this case it could have been done with a revolve-cut and thread rather than creating the workplane and Hole feature, but I would not have created the part the way you did right from the beginning. Whatever works.

of course you wouldn't, you are by far the most correct and accurate drafter possible... just because you would have done it differently, doesn't mean that what i did isn't correct, is it really that bad anyway? what's so wrong with it?

anyway, you have a part file, the center of the hole is 66mm from the top of the part and of course goes thru the center of that other hole, lets see what you come up with

Edited by gargoyle27

.... the center of the hole is 66mm from the top of the part and of course goes thru the center of that other hole, lets see what you come up with

What are the thread specs? I assume this will be a pipe tap? Is the hole the same size all the way - or is it stepped down?

KC example doesn't look cylindrical to me.

its a constant diameter, threaded M12x1.75 about 60 deep, counter bored with a diameter of 20 and 8.15 deep at the center

it's just for a long bolt to lock the location of something in that hole that's its centered with, after talking with the head machinist it's location doesn't matter as long as it doesn't cross anthing else, so i just went with 25*

i just did a revolution and added the thread after, not sure why i didn't think of that to begin with, guess i got a little overwhelmed with this complex part, the idw is fricken rediculous to look at

Well, I had already modeled at the location you specified - I let you change the hole parameters. (see attached) I would call this a pretty simple part compared to most I get involved with. Make sure the tap will fit in that slot with the M10 threads.

i just did a revolution and added the thread after

Make sure you used the tap drill diameter and not the thread diameter for the Revolve.

PFM42_JD.zip

What are the thread specs? I assume this will be a pipe tap? Is the hole the same size all the way - or is it stepped down?

KC example doesn't look cylindrical to me.

C'mon JD, How am I going to sweep a non-cylindrical hole? I think it's only the angle... Plus I sliced the part in half...

sweep_hole.png

Make sure you used the tap drill diameter and not the thread diameter for the Revolve.

well duh, do i come across as that stupid? .... wait, don't answer that

i'd be interested to see some of the parts you say that are more complex (not because i don't believe you, i just want to see them) most of the parts I make are relatively simple, often they can be just burnt on our burn table, a lot of flanges, this part with 7 different kinds of holes and stuff is more than i've really dealt with, i'm sure i'd get used to dealing with crazy things, but at this job, i just don't

remember i'm only using 2009, it said something like "the database schema is newer than your version of software" when i tried to open your file

i'd be interested to see some of the parts you say that are more complex.....

Look at this one (actually easy if you know what you are doing, but if you don't....). I think there is a dwf you will be able to view.

I'll find some more examples and attach here.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?52060-Help-on-very-tricky-Flange-please.

Flashlight.png

Stapler.jpg

i just do machine parts, shafts, flanges etc. so it's easy to draw, but there can be a lot going on, which is what i meant by complex, guess i should have said that

the link for that flange doesn't look too bad, but those toys would be fricken crazy, probably would get used to it, and then forget how to do simple things like flanges etc.

can you use inventor to run a 3d prototyping machine (or something of that nature)? if not, i'm not sure i understand the point of even making models of those things in inventor

that's pretty awesome, wish we had one of those, then, i'd have to resist the urge to play with it

there is a rapid prototyping machine at my school, but i didn't get a chance to use it since i've only finished my first year of mech eng tech, hopefully i'll be able to go back and finish and maybe i won't need to ask so many dumb questions here

Here is an interesting example of a machined part - not all that difficult, but notice that all of the dimensions have assigned tolerances. Tolerance stack-ups can be evaluted by setting the various dimensions at Min, Max, Nominal or Median. The model automatically updates when evaluated. Not many realize you can do this.

In the real world nothing can be made to exact dimensions - there are always tolerances associated with each feature. This becomes important in assembly.

Tolerances.jpg

That's interesting, we only use tolerances for tighter stuff, and the head machinist just tells me what they are when i'm drawing it and i add it to the idw, didn't know you could dimension the original sketch with tolerances

... didn't know you could dimension the original sketch with tolerances

There are two different ways.

For common ± tolerances based on number of decimal places you can set these up in advance in your template (see attached).

For all close tolerance Deviation, Limits, Fits.... you can change the properties on individual sketch dimension or feature dimension properties.

Standard Tolerances.png