Frame Design (Newbe)

PabloPicasso

Hi,

I'm a newbe to 3D design. I started learn Inventor some months ago and now I'm keeping make practice during all mu free time.

I would like to design an old Ford frame starting to this blueprint: http://www.wescottsauto.com/WebCatalog/FrameDiagram1932.pdf

What approach and tools do you suggest to use ? It's the first time I approach to part with many splines and curves so I don't know if it's worth to use the sheet metal or standard solid feature.

thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

welcome. What is your end goal with the model? Yes the frame would have been stamped but unless you are planning on replicating it that way, i wouldnt bother with sheet metal.

Since you have a nice top and side view to scale of the frame, i would start by tracing single edges on two different planes then starting a 3d sketch and projecting them to get your curve in 3d. This will end up giving you guide rails to loft the frame profile. So looking at the pic I uploaded on your top plane you would draw the outside edge that im pointing to. On another sketch on the right plane you would drat the edge I am pointing to. A projected curve between these two will give you the top outside edge of your frame as a 3d curve.

frametrace.jpg

This also could be done using the intersect option in the extrude dialog box. If the TOP view was extruded as a solid, then the SIDE view extruded via intersect, you can accomplish the same thing. Although, im sure Shifts way would be the more "correct" way, this i think is easier, especially for someone who is not familiar with 3d... on the other hand, if you are going to do something, do it right... 6 in one hand, i guess...

The problem with that method J is that the frame is a C channel. It depends on what kind of representation the OP wants but yes the intersect would work then he could potentially use Shell and select the inside face of one frame rail to make a C channel.

thanks for the help, guys. I used the intersect extrusion with a good result, I would say. In the meanwhile I also moved few step forward. Here some screenshots.

What do you thin about ? This is my first 3D design with Inventor.

90865578.png

46338889.png

I think its looking pretty good. The frame isnt accurate for a factory frame though. They were channels and not box. Look at the photos of this Model A resto.

http://www.hainesengineering.com/rhaines/modela.htm

It really depends on what you want out of the model. I think it looks pretty good but the devil is in the details and how far you want to go. Now if someone was bulding one of these they would probably box in the frame and weld it in which case your model would be accurate. Since you have upper/lower A arms and not a mono leaf as well as a 4 link rear id say you arent dealing with factory anyways:)

For your first 3d design, I would say it looks amazing! 3d seems more intimidating then it really is. Once you get going, not only does it become easier, it becomes enjoyable. I am self taught as well and i find myself at home sometimes looking at things in my house to draw!!