UNDO error causing crashes

CADTEX

I'm running 2004LD on W7P. Lately I have been getting some crashes after getting an error message that says "FATAL ERROR: cannot write to UNDO file (disk probably full)".

Any idea what a solution is? Thanks

Edited by CADTEX

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jdsherr

• ReMark

• CADTEX

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know about LDD but Inventor actually has an Undo file that the user has control over in terms of its size. It sounds like LDD may have the same feature and that in your case it has reached its max limit (256MB I believe). This should be increased. Now in Inventor one goes to Tools then clicks on Application Options and changes the setting for Undo File Size. You might check to see if LDD has this option as well. If so, you might want to double or even quadruple the value.

I checked and while I do have a Tool pulldown menu, there is no Application Option. It's somewhere I'm sure, but just don't know how to fix this problem. I'll be working and it'll crash for no reason, even if I haven't used UNDO command.

What kind of error message are you seeing?

When did the crashes first occur?

Have you made any hardware/software changes prior to the time the crashes started to occur?

What OS are you running?

LDD 2004. Have you always been diligent downloading and installing service packs (now called "updates") and hot fixes?

Just that one error message I listed in my first post. No changes at all, software or hardware, and am current on all updates. Sometimes if I let the computer sit for a long time with no activity, the moment I move the mouse I'll get that error message. All I can do at this point is save often

I use AutoCAD Civil 3D Land Desktop Companion 2009 (longest name ever!), and LDT 2006.

To get to the application options, your can:

• From the menu pull-down... Tools > Options...
  • Or, enter ._options at the command line

I know Land* verticals use a .bak file, and have an .ac$ file extension for temporary files (suffix is customizable). But I've never had an issue with undo as mentioned here.

I am unaware of where one sets the undo limit.

What are your full computer specs?

Does this happen in all files or only certain ones?

Have you considered upgrading to Civil 3D? Older programs are not fully compatible with Win 7. And from what I've heard about Land Desktop, it was a very unstable program anyway, so trying to run it on Win 7 is probably not a great idea.

I've moved this thread to the "Civil 3D & LDD" section.

Have you tried clearing out your temp files? Autocad can end up creating many thousands of files in there, and weird problems can sometimes crop up when too many files build up in that directory.

(Not sure if it will have any effect, as I've never seen this issue in Land Desktop.)

... from what I've heard about Land Desktop, it was a very unstable program anyway, so trying to run it on Win 7 is probably not a great idea.

Nah... Then using LDT 2006, and now using C3D LDC 2009... I work on my company's only AutoCAD Transportation team (at least prior to being bought out), and have had a great time out-performing my internal 'MicroStation' competition. (Thank you AutoCAD Command Line Interface, and ActiveX API!)

But like you said, the benefits of full C3D are undeniable, we're hoping that with my state's upcoming release of their DOT2011 kit, C3D 2011 will be getting deployed by year's end (crossing fingers!), instead of 'MS' cross training.

Edit: Not sure about the Win 7 part, as I work with Win XP 32 Bit (for now!)

After receiving frequent Undo Errors, I started occasionally removing the temporary undo/redo files, from the defined Temp folder. I use this:

(defun c:CleanTemp nil
 ;; delete all UND* and RED* temp files
 ;; Alan J. Thompson
 ((lambda (temp)
    (foreach x (vl-directory-files temp)
      (if (wcmatch (strcase x) "UND*,RED*")
        (vl-catch-all-apply (function vl-file-delete) (list (strcat temp x)))
      )
    )
  )
   (getvar 'tempprefix)
 )
 (princ)
)

Now, I've recently switched to WinDOHs 7, and haven't had a reason to use it since the switch (needed it for WinXP).

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem.... I am using MEP 2011 SP1 & am working on an XP64 bit machine.

My issue happens when I try to explode a group of dynamic blocks... I need to do this before I transmit the file in order to protect our blocks, it takes about 5 minutes to think and then the "cannot write to undo file (disk probably full)" message comes up.

before SP1 it would just say UNDOCMD 3 but it seems the threshold is a lot lower with the current service pack....

I tried all the sudjestions in this thread, any further help in this would be greatly apprechiated!!!

Thank you!

• 7 months later...

I am using AutoCAD Architecture 2011 on w7P as well, and this error is killing me, happens every time I save. Did you ever work out a fix?

I am using AutoCAD Architecture 2011 on w7P as well, and this error is killing me, happens every time I save. Did you ever work out a fix?

Did you empty your Temp directory?

That didn't help?

Didn't work. I've manually and automatically (using the Lisp earlier in the thread) emptied my temp folder. Doesn't seem to make a difference.