Plotting Standard Bsize

gbradley

When printing with Autodesk Inventor

Why does the Default Border get clipped on the Top & bottom?

Scale: Model 1:1

Even if I Select Rotate by 90° (then it just clips the ends)

I'm using the default border, and ANSI-Large Title Block

I see that if I select Best Fit the entire border is visible, but it plots to some weird scale.

If I do choose Best fit, is there a way to actually print on the paper what the scale is?

Printer:

HP DesignJet 450C (D/A1) by HP

I have Paper size set to ANSI B-11 X 17 in.

AutoCAD Inventor Suite 2010

BSized.jpg

I am assuming you are plotting the 'layout' and not 'window'.

That default border line may not exactly fit what your particular printer/plotter considers the 'Printable Area'. 'Best Fit' forces the layout inside of the printable area as defined by your printer/plotter driver, but it does change the scale because it will zoom the drawing in or out to make it fit.

Your border line is drawn physically outside of the printable area that your printer can reach. I would look through your templates to see if you have a border that is a better fit for your particular paper size.

The printable area is represented by the dashed rectangle on your paperspace layout. make sure the border line falls inside of that dashed rectangle. It does not have to be inside very much. You can use the scale command on your border line/title block in paperspace to shrink it a bit, by a factor of .95 or .98.

You probably don't want to redraw the border lines since you will have to go into the block editor to do that.

I always assume that the printable area is about 13 mm or 1/2" smaller than the overall paper and draw my own border line template (block) per that assumtion, then scale it down or up to fit if I have to.

If you don't see the dashed line, look around your layout dialog box for a checkbox that allows you to "Show Printable Area" and click it on.

Yes, you can have the scale automatically print on the drawing, but I would not use best fit at all. It is not proper drafting practice to publish working plans that are not to a particular 'Standard Scale' accepted by your business community. If you are plotting for illustration purposes ONLY, then "No Scale" or "Not To Scale" is how you want to label it.

If you are plotting 'layout', Insert a field where you want the scale to appear. You can select the viewport frame, and use the Standard Scale from the viewport's properties while you are executing the field insert operation.

I am assuming you are plotting the 'layout' and not 'window'.

The printable area is represented by the dashed rectangle on your paperspace layout.

....since you will have to go into the block editor to do that.

If you are plotting 'layout', Insert a field where you want the scale to appear. .

A lot of text typed in a response that is all wrong. This is Inventor, not AutoCAD. Changing the border is trivially easy. I'll post the steps when I get a chance.

I tried it again and made some progress.

I had to delete the border, and then insert a new border.

Earlier, I didn't notice the expand arrows |>>|on the Insert Drawing border... dialog box.

I had to change the Sheet Margins Top & Bottom from .620 to .750, but that didn't work so I went to .820, and it works good now.

I guess I was kind of surprised that it wouldn't work right out of the box with the default setting,s but It probably would if I had a new plotter.

I'd still like to know how to put the scale on the drawing if I ever do use the "Best fit" option.

Thanks