Cutting 8 slots on a tube where the last cut out is at 45 degrees from the original?!

rdharvey

I have a shaft with 8 slots in where the last slot is at 45 from the original. so the cuts kind of wrap round the cylinder. Is there any way to do this rather than using numerous work planes at different angles with the copy and pasted sketch extruded. I was thinking pattern type function that can wrap round a bit like a coil function...

help anyone?

On previous cad software I have used it is possible to do this as a pattern. hmmm :/

spear.jpg

Edited by rdharvey
add in a image of product

Im no expert, but this is how i would probally attack this..

I would make the shaft a sheetmetal feature, as in create an extrusion of the "tube" profile then make a rip down one edge then "unfold" it to a flat pattern.

I would then create your pattern on the flat pattern, cut them thru, then "refold" the flat pattern.

As i said, im sure someone will come up with a better way, but thats what the forums are for :)

Cheers Josh

hmm sounds possible. not a fan of the sheet metal function though! ....

may just use work planes at an increasing angle from the original sketch until 45 degrees and copy and paste the sketch. Although i am sure there is an easier and better way of doing it. i just have major mind blank! haha knew i should have finished it on friday whilst i had it in my head!

cheers though.

Rob

This isnt the most elegant solution but i think its what you are looking for. You want to change is the Direction1 and Direction2 orientation(dont remember if 2011 uses the same terminology). Basically you want it to "adjust" and not be identical. For direction2 you want it to follow Direction1(your curve).

Hopefully this older model will open and be easy to follow.

CurveSlot.zip

Swift, thanks exactly right i forgot to select direction one in the second direction. still grasping inventor after using proe and sw for 3 years!

Thanks for the help as always

Doesn't look right. Attach the part here (roll up EOP and zip before attaching).

Thanks jd but just mastered it. thanks for the input and resources.

Are you slots going to be cut from one orientation (Plunge mill and straight path as in Shift's example on first slot) or will the tube be rotated as the mill moves along line? If second option, the design needs to be changed a bit to reflect reality.

BTW - see this design done by one of my students in Inventor. Thought you might be interested given your avatar picture.

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/penn_custstory_v6.pdf

Are you slots going to be cut from one orientation (Plunge mill and straight path as in Shift's example on first slot) or will the tube be rotated as the mill moves along line? If second option, the design needs to be changed a bit to reflect reality.

BTW - see this design done by one of my students in Inventor. Thought you might be interested given your avatar picture.

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/penn_custstory_v6.pdf

JD,

I believe that it will be produced like shifts model. Although we are changing our manufacturers so they may decide to do it another way although if its on a 5axis machine it wouldn't need to be rotated.

Thanks for the link, model looks nice. I need to start doing my own models again, I've not had chance since I started my new job. I miss university and having the freedom to design what ever I want! Was this an assignment that you set? or was it free modelling?

I need to model more things in inventor.... slightly different as i have switched from SW and ProE although I like the functionality of inventor and how the interface is displayed.

Thanks

Rob