I need your help.

JD Mather

Here is a link to a new tutorial that I wrote on Multi-body Solids and Inventor Tooling.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Invent​or%20Tutorials/Inventor%202011%20Tutorial%2014.pd...

I would like to attend Autodesk University 2010 as your Manufacturing Community representative.

I am not sure of the selection process, but I was watching Donald Trump on The Apprentice Sunday night and he said you have to sell yourself, so at the risk of putting my shoulder out of joint -

Please send an email to manufacturing.community@autodesk.com and explain a bit how my participation in this forum has helped you in doing your job or saved your company money. I must have helped at least a couple of you. Please support my bid to attend AU as your representative.

JD

You've helped me to see the errors of my way. Does that count?

Sure thing JDM; you've got my vote for Manufacturing Community representative.

Take two Aleve for the shoulder joint pain. You'll be right as rain in no time.

What say ye folks? Shouldn't we support one of our own?

That email is already on its way JD. Good luck.

Good Luck JD. The tutorial looks like its laid out very well. I plan on going through it soon,...

I went through the creation in a big hurry to get it posted - if you find any problems let me know. I will be on the road for a couple of days and not sure how much internet access I will have.

Just had acknowledgement of my nomination for JD.

Thank you for the nomination.

Hope to see you at AU 2010.

-MFG Community Team

Dave

P.S.

Just had a look at your tutorial JD and I think it is very good, although I would like to see some minor additions:

1) Also show the setup for a single-user, not just vault.

2) A little more explanation as to why you have chosen to do certain things, e.g. why you set the tangent weight to 2.5 on page 5.

3) I know that this is aimed at the more experienced user, but I can't help thinking that it might be best to include instructions to do the basic things as well - e.g. turn off surface translucency. You can't go wrong with a belt and braces approach, but there is nothing worse than someone wondering where to find something. It is best not to assume that the reader knows what you are talking about.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Dave

Edited by Hopinc

Email sent JD. Wishing you all the best, you have helped alot of people out on here and on AUGI. You deserve a shot at AU.

Got Confirmation through. Good luck

Edited by stevsmith

1) Also show the setup for a single-user, not just vault.

Essentially the same for Desktop Content (see attached)

2) A little more explanation as to why you have chosen to do certain things, e.g. why you set the tangent weight to 2.5 on page 5.

I'll see what I can do when I get time. The weight is for aesthetic value. In other words whatever the designer likes. Experiments with different weights.

3) I know that this is aimed at the more experienced user,...

Dave

It is Tutorial number 14. Actually for all of these involving surface modeling I expect a strong foundation of the basics. I assume the user has gone through the usual book-available information. And as free tutorials I don't take the time to polish to the level of what a user should expect in a book. Basically these boil down to abbreviated notes of my lectures. I understand how it can be difficult at times to follow without the classroom presentation that goes along with these. Actually, in the classroom I will often purposely go down the "wrong" road to show why certain decisions were made. My students are used to me going for 15 minutes and then say Undo back to.... (as a side note this doesn't work to well in SWx if you want to Redo).

Desktop Content.png

Yes JD, I already knew the answers to 1) & 2), but my point is that it is better to dot the i's and cross the t's.

There is nothing worse than reading a text and sitting there for ages wondering how the heck you get to the command referred to. Assumption that the reader knows where to find things is a common mistake I find in almost all CAD text books. Remember that if commands aren't used on a daily basis a user can forget where to locate them.

I expect a strong foundation of the basics.
- why? I don't see any reason why a well written tutorial should not be set out so that every level of user could complete it. Covering surfacing techniques with the "advanced user" label - beginners stay clear is just rubbish. If the explanation is good the user will "get it."

Actually, in the classroom I will often purposely go down the "wrong" road to show why certain decisions were made.
- this methodology may work well in the classroom. and it is a technique I have employed myself, but I certainly would not advocate it for a tutorial.

as free tutorials I don't take the time to polish to the level of what a user should expect in a book.
- if you want to earn the prestige of being a top tutorial writer you should. It's what seperates the men from the boys.

JD, there is nothing wrong with your tutorial, but IMHO with just a little more effort it could be superb.

Regards.

Dave

Edited by Hopinc