Dome feature

harley558

Does Inventor have anything similar to SW's Dome feature. I am trying to create tire. The tire though needs to resemble some inflation. The only way to create tread is based on on uninflated tire. Which that is not a problem, if I had something like Dome I could show some distortion once tread is wrapped around tire surface.

The only way to create tread is based on on uninflated tire...

I wouldn't say that is the only way. Revolve as true shape. Emboss, Split, Thicken, Offset Surface, Extrude Between and other tools can be used to create tread, then pattern around tire. Depends on how real you want to get.

There is yet another way to create a dome, and although it may not be particularly applicable in this case, I thought I would illustrate the technique - and that is loft. First create a sketch on you work piece. Click "OK." Go to the "Work Features" menu on the top ribbon bar and select "Grounded Point" (Pic1).

Select the centre point of the workpiece for your Grounded Point and a trident will appear (Pic2). Click "OK."

Now move over to the history tree and right click on the Grounded Point. A new pop down menu will appear - select "3D Move/Rotate." You can now select one of the arrows and drag the trident in the required direction (Pic3). Click "OK." This will leave a clearly discernable yellow diamond at the new position of the Grounded Point.

Select Loft - choose the edge of the sketch and the Grounded point (pic4). At this point you have controls over tangency under the "conditions" part of the menu (Pic4). Picture 5 has tangency switched on. Click done.

Of course you can return at any time to the Grounded Point and re-position it and change tangency as desired.

This takes a lot longer to explain that it does to do.

It is of only limited use, but it is possible to achieve some quite interesting results - see last two pictures.

Pic1.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic5.jpg

Pic4.jpg

pic6.png

bowl3.jpg

Edited by Hopinc