• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hopinc

• Steve_wright

• abishop

• rdharvey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes. If you draw the Hose profile on one plane, then draw the U shape on a plane that is 90degrees off(using the standard planes, dont create a new one if you dont have to). Make sure the U sketch is coincident with the center of your circle and use Sweep. What version of inventor are you using?

Ive attached an example(not 29" long).

IVSweep.zip

Abishop

here's a step by step tuturial of how i would do it .

new sketch

draw your desired shape from the center dot, (finish sketch)

click work plane , then in origin click yz plane ..then move your curser over any end of the curve and click...then click new sketch on that plane.

if you cant pick up the end point then project geomtry ..then draw your circle and diamention it.

once you done that click finish sketch go to sweep...... profile the circle....... and use the shape as your path

i think it should do it automatically :)

anyway thats how i would do it..bare in mind i really am learning myself :)

Steve:unsure:...lol unsure icon..(.but it did work for me .)

Abishop, you have not indicated which version of Inventor you are using, so I am hoping that it is 2011?

This latest version of the software has an improved menu giving better access to drawing planes. See picture 1 - here I have created a 3D sketch and used the "Normal to axis through point" command to generate a plane perpendicular to one of the pipe axes so I can create a profile to sweep. It's quick and simple.

plane2.jpg

sweep.jpg

Edited by Hopinc

LOL it's quite funny is that because originally i am from South Yorkshire Doncaster ...Conisbrough to be exact :)

been living in Darwen for 22 years.

and yes Dave i am a blackburn supporter...shhhhhhhhh...lol

Where did you learn Inventor?

Hi Steve,

Where did I learn Inventor
- 3 years ago I chose it for the company I was working for at that time. I did the full foundation training coarse at Quadrasol, in Accrington.

Then when I set up my own design company (www.mdltd.org) in April 2009 I paid for 1:1 tuition in advanced surface modelling. Since then it's been a lot of practice and some tips I have picked up on various forums. You learn fastest when you want to produce something "real" - playing around achieves very little.

Currently I am teaching myself SolidWorks, but if I could afford it I would definitely have preferred to have done the training course. Despite the fact that most are based on book work that you could get through by yourself, it is a real advantage to have a tutor present to question, help with any problems you run into, and ensure that you don't miss out on any of the basics.

How about you?

Regards.

Dave

Edited by Hopinc

I had training at quadra solutions in Accrington too

it sounds like i had the same course as you ..it was for a week.

showing the user interface and a couple of projects

To be honest it really mashed my brain up abit lol :shock:

where i work we have a cad manager and the director wanted me to help him out..... but work flow is at a little now, and the opportunity has gone a stray .

so now i just give my self projects and ask the occasional question.

I love doing this sort of stuff..:)

Hi Steve,

The training course had it's issues, but as I have 22 years experience of SDRC's I-Deas I know exactly what I want a 3D CAD program to do.

I must admit that when I finished the course I did not feel 100% capable of doing what I wanted, so I set to and learned how to do the things I thought were either missing from the course, or not covered in sufficient detail. I then booked myself on the advanced surfacing course and I have not looked back since.

Solid modelling is a joy to me, I too love to produce slick rendered models and assemblies.

Just before I answered your post I was working on a 3.5" gauge steam locomotive. I do this kind of thing just because I find the process entralling and fascinating.

I will look out for you on the forum, but if you want you can drop me a PM at any time, or email me through my company's web site.

Regards.

Dave

nice website hopinc! love some of your models. i'd love to start a businees like that where every projects different! also the fact you love making stuff and making them look realistic is really cool, best bits of cad in my opinion! :)

Hello Robert,

Thanks for you kind comments regarding the web site. It continues to be an uphill struggle with the current financial climate, and in all honesty I would recommend you wait a few years until things settle down before you contemplate having a go.

It was pure circumstances that literally forced me into it - redundancy. When things are going well and there is lots of work, there is nothing better, but when it is a struggle to get work it can be pretty dire. That's when I keep my sanity by finding something challenging to model.

Regards.

Dave

yeah i know what you mean! maybe I should stick my job for a few years before I take the dive!

I'm going to start modelling my own stuff out of work hours and maybe post them on turbo squid. hopefully get some extra cash in, you should have a look at it too, maybe post some of your general models up like your planes.

Thanks Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the tip, I have never heard of "Turbo Squid" before, I will have a look see.

Regarding the planes, I have already approached a well known R/C modelling magazine and received a very encouraging response. The models/plans still need some work to turn them into an article the magazine would accept/pay for. I have not got around to completing them yet. It is on my list of things to do.

Regards.

Dave