how to change planes after creation of a part

gargoyle27

i created a part for use in a cnc program that the machinist just got (so he's not entirely familiar with it yet) and he's suggested that i might need to change the planes the part is on, i drew the original sketch on the xy (which is the default i believe) is there any way that now, after the part is complete, to change it so it's as if i drew the original sketch on the xz plane? i don't want to have to draw it again

Any CNC (CAM) program should be able to change the workplane and I could probably give several good arguments why it should be changed the CAM program rather than in the design program but,...

...you can right click on the first sketch and select Redefine and select desired workplane. Could cause a lot of failure down the feature tree tho...

it's not a very long tree, so it shouldn't be a big deal, i wanted to know more for future reference than how much time i would lose redrawing this model on a different plane

as i said, he's not entirely familiar with the program yet, so we have some kinks to work out im sure, thanks JD, you da man :D

... he's not entirely familiar with the program yet,...

While he is becomming familiar you might try to model future parts with his preference for workplane in mind. I set Inventor to not start an initial sketch so that I always tell it what plane I want to start on. I used to teach CNC programming and I can tell you the programmer will want to learn how to change planes soon on the trip up the learning curve.

oh yes, he's fiddling with it right now, and i'm sure he'll have it figured out in no time, i just got the feeling we didn't have the time for that as the parts need to be done right away, so it was easier/faster for me to change it than for him to figure out how from his end

What program is he using? Most of the time stock and part origin are the first things set in a cam program(and not automatically). For the few programs I have used for NC files the way the part came in was never an issue because the standard origin was not used for the part stock origin.

Ive used v18 and 19 bobcam and wasnt really impressed with it, but didnt play with it much. I know they have 30 day trials of all their versions so if he cant figure it out let me know and ill get a new version trial and play around with it. I think from older version to V22 and 23 they made some big changes(at least in user interface) so i cant be of much help there.