Constraint Settings in Application Options in Assembly

Steve_wright

Well all i am doing is constraining panels together and half way through it..it decided not to pop into place when edited .

now i have to click apply then cancel then move the panel with the curser for it to snap into place...

is it because the settings are not set right?

Hope you understand what i am going on about...lol

(there are no error signs everything is being correctly constrain it's just that it isn't popping to it straight away.)

it was doing it for a few of them....and i will also point out they are not grounded only the base.:roll:

Steve

I've worked it out apperantly on other panels there were constraints so i deleted them and all seems to be working fine .

sorry for the wasted thread

Steve

Even when things are correctly constrained Steve, Inventor can sometimes gets it's knickers in a twist. I have known it interact in some most peculiar ways with totally unrelated constraints.

I had the devils own job getting the pushrods in place with tangential constraints on a model V8 aero engine. Fifteen out of sixteen were fine, but the last one just refused to work. I wasted a lot of time on that project. And as in your case, no constraint errors ever showed.

I have also had the same effect that you mention when it comes to snapping things into place and it generally means that somewhere in the constraint network is a conflict. It's finding it that is the hard bit.

Another case in point is the Bentley BR2 radial engine on my web site. When it came to locating the push rod guides Inventor 2010 totally refused to do it. Luckily 2011 had just come out and that version of the program had no programs at all.

Regards.

Dave

That's good to know !!

I thought it was strange when there were no errors showing ...

I was working on a t.v stand and to be honest nothing complicated untill that happened...lol

I have heard that inventor can be unpredictable at times especially when shelling..

and filletting ..

I'ts all good stuff to know though lol :)

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve_wright
needed a space inbetween a word

Shelling is actually fairly robust in Inventor, it only tends to generate errors when there is actually something wrong with the model or the user is asking for something that should not work anyway. I can't fault the software for doing that.

Filleting, however, is another story. It is way too flakey for my liking. If you run into problems, and you are sure that there should not be any, then what you have to do is keep changing the order of application of the fillets, or combinations of edge vertices, until it works. If you persevere it is usually possible to get it to work. It can take some time and effort though.

I have worked with solid modellers that preferred all fillets required to be selected at one go, the program then produced the best result for the total requirement. Inventor is not like this, it likes fillets in small chunks, anything remotely complex and it will throw up it's "hands" and tell you it is too complex. The algorithm needs some serious overhauling.

SolidWorks filleting is much less sensitive and works better IMHO.

Regards.

Dave

Edited by Hopinc