Help with circular pattern

harley558

I am trying to create a circular of tread pattern with 47 more occurences. When I try to do circular pattern it tells me there are dimensions that need to be changed. The dimensions I have must be those dimensions. I got this pattern from someone else. Can anyone help me?

TIRE1.zip

Sketch1 is not constrained?

Sketch2 is sick (pink) and I would use Feature Pattern anyhow rather than that complicated sketch. Wayyy too many repeated uneeded dimensions.

Hi Harley558,

Yes, there is a quick fix. Is this what you are after? I presume that you want to combine this pattern with a base tyre shape?

Incidentally, it seems to be an odd tread pattern for a tyre to me. Most road tyres are designed to combine charteristics such as grip on different surfaces and water displacement. The better ones are assymetric as well. Just wondering what has driven (no pun intended) this design?

Regards.

Dave

tyre.jpg

Edited by Hopinc

Ah!- I see. However, you haven't told me if my image is what you want to achieve and if I am correct in my assumptions?

If it is, there are several courses open to us - I could send you the file as is, with an explanation as to what I have done. Or you could post the underlying tyre profile and I will comlete it for you and send you a finished file.

In the attached picture I have just extrapolated the tyre profile from "sketch 1" and made it a uniform 6mm thick - I have no idea if this is correct or not?

If you want to do the work yourself you will have to make changes to the tread profile sketch, which I can outline. There is a problem with the dimensions as you already know (indicated by the sketch being pink). Unlike JD I don't subscribe to the rigid rule of dimensioning and constraining everything and I did not hesitate to remove the offending dimensions for expediency.

Just let me know what you want to do?

Regards.

Dave

Full-tyre.jpg

Edited by Hopinc

It's funny, but tyres always do look good.

It is actually not as complete as I would have liked - the tread now has draft, but it does not have bottom rounding. Unfortunately Inventor cannot pattern radii so it would mean that every tread block would need filleting independently. Not something I wanted to do, or that Alan thought was necessary for the use he had in mind. His original tyre was deflated but the customer decided that he wanted it inflated, so it looks somewhat different to my first offerings.

Modelling it is really quite easy.

BTW- I have to get back to earning a crust so I am going to be away from the forum for a while. Good luck with your modelling.

Dave