extrude the same skect with different lenght

sight

I created a sketch in Inventor based on a Standard(mm).ipt template. I would like to use this sketch into an assembly file (.iam) but to extrude them with different lenght.

A simple sample: The sketch is a rectangle. I placed this sketch into the assembly file with two or more copies. The sketches are represented into the browser. I would like to add 50mm extrude for the first sketch and 100mm extrude for the second one and so on different extrude lenght for the others.

When I extrude one of the sketches all the placed copies have the same lenght.

Please give me your suggestion how I could add different lenght for the same sketch in the assembly file. In fact this sketch is more complicated than a rectangle so I don't want to create multiply sketches.

See the attached file as an sample.

extrude sketches.jpg

or do them as a part file. extrude all the profiles of equal length then use the move face option to reduce the length of the other two probes? there are many ways to tackle this. why does it need to be an assembly? what are your parameters of the design?

or simply share the sketch... let me know what you need from the design and why you want to do it as an assembally and ill think of a solution for you :) hope this is helping...

You might find that derived parts are a good solution. Look up "Derived parts and assemblies" under the Inventor "?" on the uppermost top right of the ribbon bar.

Regards.

Dave

I made a sketch as a single part (*. ipt). This sketch is represent the cross section of an aluminium bar. I have to create an assembly file (*.iam) where I have to use a nylon corner (see in the attached picture) to joint the different alu bars. I put the sketches in the nylon corner using constrains. After I placing the sketches I would like to extrude them with different lenght. Finaly I have to create a box form alu profiles which has different lenght, height and width. I am new in Inventor before that I used AUTOCAD.

Before a cross section of the alu bar is constant I created a single file. I want to use this cross section sketch with different lenght in same assembly file.

Reading the aboves I hope that you can share the steps to achive the proper result.

extrude sketch a.jpg

upload your file and ill have a look. extrude your sketches prior to bringing them into the assembly then you can make them different lengths.

Sorry but I can upload the project file beacuse it exceeds the file limit of the forum.

Conclusion: If I want to use 10-20 different lenght of profile it means that I have to create before the assembly 10-20 extruded parts. I try to accept this solution and make the design on this way. Thanks for your support. Morover if you have some idea please send it to me.

iParts will do what you require. Unfortunately I hesitate to go into this until you have more experience with Inventor.

Can I suggest that you do one of two things - Get hold of a copy of "Inventor 2011 Essentials Plus" book or see if you can find a tutorial for iParts on line. The latter is probably best.

I created the attached assembly using a simple iPart I nocked up, and as you can see iPart allows me to change selected parameters (length in this case) when the part is brought into an assembly. Invidual lengths can also be modified at any time within the assembly. You can also see that I have been able to change things like materials and colours.

Upon saving the assembly, iParts creates each part with a unique tag and stores all the variants you have created in the particular working directory you are in, so you can call them up and re-use them again if you wish.

Regards.

Dave

iParts.jpg

good solution, thought he would have been better creating individual parts though with it being the first time of using inventor. :) i like the i part function though its pretty handy stuff, although ive not delved into it too much as ive not long been using inventor. i used SW and pro E prior to my new job. how are the parameters changed within the assembly? also does this mean it will create new part files for the altered geometric parts? :)

Sorry but I can upload the project file beacuse it exceeds the file limit of the forum.

Conclusion: If I want to use 10-20 different lenght of profile it means that I have to create before the assembly 10-20 extruded parts. I try to accept this solution and make the design on this way. Thanks for your support. Morover if you have some idea please send it to me.

1. Find the red End of Part marker in the browser. Drag it to the top of the browser hiding all features. Save the part with the feature tree in a rolled up state. In Windows Explorer right click on the file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Attach the resulting *.zip file here (it will be dramatically smaller in size in a rolled up state).

2. In addition to iParts you might want to look into adding the profile to your library of Frame Generator profiles. Looks like Frame Generator might be useful in this design.

Nice one JD. - I had been thinking about the frame generator myself, but as I have never actually created and employed a custom section using it, I thought I would stick with what I know - iParts.

It did seem a logical solution though.

Regards.

Dave

Edited by Hopinc

..employed a custom section using it, I thought I would stick with what I know - iParts.

If a one-off job probably easier with iParts (actually probably easiest to simply Save Copy As and change lengths).

If profile used frequently in a lot of designs iParts or Frame Generator make more sense.

I have only added a custom profile a couple of times - so it would probably take me as long to do that as it would to create an iPart, but as I remember the process - once you know how to add a custom profile to the library it is actually far easier than iParts. I think Mark Flaylor has a tutorial on this.