How to Transfer a Inventor file from 2011 pro version to 2010 edu. version?

tristandoo

At school I use Autodesk inventor 2011 pro and we creat all of are school projects on it. Our teacher told us to download the student software from Autodesk so I did, I downloaded the 2010 pro Educational version and I cant open the files from school in the Educational version and I can't open the files I made in the Educational version on the 2011 school software... could some one please help me.... I need to know how to open them up in both of the programs.:?

Why don't you download the 2011 version of Inventor from the student community?

If you don't want to download 2010 for some reason, then in 2011 do a File>Save Copy As type STEP (*.step) to open in 2010.

You might also want to download the free Feature Recongnition add-in from http://labs.autodesk.com

but if I were you I would simply download 2011 from the student community.

There is no back file compatibility. A 2011 .ipt file wont open in 2010. I would do as JD said and just download the 2011 student version. Im surprised you could get 2010 still

Hey i figured it out... we use Autodesk inventor at school but we really use AutoCAD inventor so i downloaded the wrongone.... now a new question... how do i set up AutoCAD since it downloads as 3 different files?

The downloads should be 1 exe file and 2 rar files. Double click on the exe to start the extraction and installation process.

If you are running Vista or Windows 7 make sure you turn off UAC before starting (and make sure you downloaded the correct version 64-bit or 32-bit for your version of Windows).

• 2 weeks later...

Some people, including me, have had problems with the download. The .exe starts extracting, but stops and says it is corrupted. I tried downloading multiple times, in safe mode, but no success. I ended up ordering a trial DVD from autodesk (trials this year are sent via 4 DVD's as opposed to a download). I just installed that and used my lic code rather than the 30 day trial.

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys..how do i convert Inventor 2011 part file(.ipt) to inventor 2010 part file(.ipt) ? and also 2011 assembly file (.iam) to 2010/2009 inventor assembly file (.iam)..i dont have the *step file extension under save copy as..its has only All Files..please help.thanks very much

...i dont have the *step file extension under save copy as..its has only All Files..please help.thanks very much

You should. Is the translator loaded in the list of Add-ins?

Did you turn off anti-virus and UAC before install?

Post screen capture of your Save Copy As options....

hey JD..sorry i made a mistake..there is s *step file but after saving it, the icon appears is like the icon that cant be opened..the inventor picture is not the icon..i have to choose a programme manually to view but it cant be viewed.

i have to choose a programme manually to view but it cant be viewed.

Of course you have to open the STEP file in Inventor, SolidWorks, Pro/E or some other CAD program that will open *.stp files. (Wasn't that the original question - open in another release of Inventor?)