Change to earlier Inventor menus and layouts.

john anderson

Hello,

Is it possible to change Inventor 2011 menus to Inventor 2009. I have been told it is possible, however I do not know how to do this.

The reason I want to change the layout is that I teach Inventor in school. We have excellent teaching videos which we can use on the internet. Unfortunately they are based on Inventor 2009. This means they are now of little use as we are having 2011 installed in the school computers.

Any help would be much appreciated.

John

You can switch to the Classic UI in the Application options on the Colors Tab there is an interface drop down. Keep in mind that new functionality may not be present in the old interface such as the Mold tools and some of the more advanced modules. You will also only get limited support from Autodesk for this and most importantly, your students will have a harder time learning the Ribbon if you don't teach them what is current right now.

Do you have access to these videos in an updated form? Are they bought from some technical professional services company or homegrown?

I think your students will have no trouble adapting to the Ribbon interface even using the old videos. I would give it a try first.

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your help Mark. I have followed your instructions and it worked perfectly. However, I feel I owe you and JD a bit of an explanation of what I am planning to do.

The Internet tutorial videos for 2009 have just been bought. There are tutorial videos for 2011 in the pipeline, although it could be a few months before they are ready.

In the meantime I am still learning while teaching the program myself, so on my home laptop I want to have the classic layout so I can teach the layout that is at the moment on the school computers.

The Inventor program installed on the school computers at the moment, cannot load onto my Vista laptop. It only woks on XP machines. Therefore to learn the program at home I want to learn the classic layout from 2011.

When 2011 is installed at school I will of course be teaching the new layout and I will also change back from classic on my laptop. (see below)

Thanks again,

John

PS If you dont mind Mark could you explain how to change it back again from classic? I tried to to have a look through applications again but could not find how to reverse the process.

I liked the old view-cube from (2008) over the new cube... I also prefer the older interface over the ribbon in Inventor and AutoCAD.

KC