Wrong rotation problem

RWBennett

I'm trying to animate a screw as it screws into an object. The initial rotation constraint is set to 0 degrees and I'd like to rotate more than 360 degrees but I would settle for 360 if that is an Inventor limitation. The result is that it rotates several turns counter clockwise then reverses to several turns clockwise. I've tried many degree combinations but still can't get it to only rotate clockwise all the way through it's linear travel.

Inventor version 11

What am I doing wrong?

Attach the file(s) here. Is this with Drive Constraint, ipn or with Inventor Studio, or with Dynamic Simulation? Far more information is needed.

Ive covered this exact problem in inventor 11 in another thread here. I walked it step by step with screen shots.

th_ViseAssembly.jpg

It was something like square drive screw or something along those lines. ill try to find it but search around october of last year. Thats why i uploaded that video.

Thanks for your response. I'm trying to do this in Inventor Studio. I've done similar things with Drive Constraints without a problem. This is not the first time I've struggled with rotation action in Inventor Studio and have yet to figure out how to do it.

Thanks shift1313.

I looked at your earlier post. The work was done in Inventor Simulation. I'm trying to work in Inventor Studio using animation. I probably should switch even though I've never worked with Simulation I've been threatening to do so but I understand it's a pretty steep learning curve. I've wanted to do some FEA work but have never taken the time to learn. I guess now might be a good time.

Thanks again for your response and help.

You should also be able to do this in Studio without using Dynamic Simulation. Attach your files here. Are you animating an angle constraint to drive the screw? Which of the angle constraints did you use?

Great. Since this is a confidential project, I will develop an similar item with Inventor Studio rotation and send it to you. However, I'm leaving for Seattle this afternoon so will have to wait for a week until I get back. I'm taking my laptop with me so in the mean time will try to learn some Simulation. I'm long over due for getting geared up for FEA anyway.

You can drive the other way using a negative number for your angle of rotation... Here I had a screw rotating counter-clockwise but can easily fix using the -2000 which will rotate the screw over 5 times in the clockwise direction over the 5 second period. It's probably reversing direction because you have mirrored or have added another component to the timeline that your missing.

studio_rotation.jpg

Good Luck

Ken

• 5 weeks later...

I'm responding to your reply of several weeks ago. I think I have uploaded a file: "Test Screw.zip" but am not sure. This file demonstrates the problem I'm having with Inventor Studio rotation. I want this device to rotate several complete 360 degree rotations during it's travel. I entered multiple values of 360 degrees but the object rotates clockwise for a while then reversed to counter-clockwise. I then tried multiple sequences 360 degrees values but had the same problem.

Suggestions?

Test Screw.zip

Sketch3 of Test screw is not dimensioned and if I dimension it shows an improbable size? Also there is a problem with the extrusion as indicated in the browser.

Sketch 17 has sick (pink) geometry.

Sketch 18 has sick (pink) geometry.

The Hex Sketch is not fully constrained.

None of the user created Workplanes are needed

Test Screw.png

I would have used a Rotation/Translation constraint instead of animating the Insert offset distance. (I would not use Insert constraint.)

I would have used a Directed Angle constraint rather than the Explicit Reference Vector angle constraint.

I will try to work up an example when I get a chance.