DXF drawing into inventor for extrusion

rp181

I have been having problems with a DXF file on a laser cutter, and the laser seeing multiple lines over one line (i.e., it cuts the same thing over and over). How can I bring the DXF file sketches into inventor (using 2011), so I can extrude them, and pull the face of of them again (this method has worked for my 3D models)?

You could simply use the Flatten and Overkill commands in AutoCAD to fix.

or

Open in Inventor (check Options) if you really want to extrude. If you can't figure it out attach an example file here.

Edited by JD Mather

rp181, just a small caveat here - the two commands that JD refers to do not work in AutoCAD Mechanical, but they do in AutoCAD itself.

Of course, there is another way to do this - select erase and put a border round your outlines. Type "r" at the command line and remove the top most geometry from your selection set by using the cursor pickbox. The resulting erase will just leave one selected of lines. Of course, it will depend how complex your profile is as to whether this is a good alternative solution or not.

JD's is the best solution all round.

You may still have to do some tyding up, as people that have the habit of creating this multiple stacked geometry always seem to tack bits of lines together instead of extending and trimming as they should.

Regards.

Dave

Edited by Hopinc

These were done by a first time CAD user, so that is why I want to extrude it.

Would someone be able to convert the sketches into a 3D part if I sent them the files? I do not want to post them here as they are someone else's design.

Will opening the file in autocad mechanical, and copying the geometry into inventor work? I know some programs store clipboard data the same way. I don't have the software with me, but I want to make sure it will work tomorrow.

These were done by a first time CAD user, so that is why I want to extrude it.
So you want to do this in order to prove the profile?

Will opening the file in autocad mechanical, and copying the geometry into inventor work? I know some programs store clipboard data the same way. I don't have the software with me, but I want to make sure it will work tomorrow.
Yes you can cut and paste from AutoCAD into the Inventor sketcher, but you could just as easily open the AutoCAD file within Inventor and miss out AutoCAD altogether. You will still have to clean up the geometry though, without the aid of the better geometry cleaning tools JD has outlined in AutoCAD.

Would someone be able to convert the sketches into a 3D part if I sent them the files? I do not want to post them here as they are someone else's design.
Providing there is not a lot of tidying up work to do this should be a very simple task. I don't see though why an extruded shape is any advantage to you?

As you are wanting a DXF file for your CNC machinery why not just stick to AutoCAD, do what either JD or I have suggested, cleaning up where necessary, and output the file in dxf format? Why bother with Inventor and solid models at all in this instance?

I have taken faces of of 3D shapes and it has worked, that is why I want to do that. The laser is really funky, and picky. (its a Universal Laser systems model).

I tried opening the file in inventor, but the importer fails to read it, and opens it in a drawing. I will give that a shot again.

I have done absolutely no work in 2D, only 3D and the 2D sketch environment. It would take me time to learn the 2D stuff, and how to tidy it up. It actually does not need to be a DXF, just a vector drawing (a raster is no good). It prints from Corel Draw. Does Corel allow flattening and removing repeats?

Let me know if I should email the DXF files to you.

Let me have a look at your file.

Just to clarify - can you accept a native Inventor .ipt file? If so which version. I have both 2010 & 2011. Or would you prefer a dxf, iges, sat or stp file.

Send your file to: info@mdltd.org

I guarantee absolute confidentiality.

Dave

Edited by Hopinc

Hi Ravi,

I have sent you the .ipt model files. Incidentally, "flatten" did not work satisfactorily in AutoCAD - it produced disjointed geometry. "Overkill" did work, but rather than use either method I just cut and pasted the outlines into Inventor and did a little tidying up therein.

Regards.

Dave

Edited by Hopinc