inventor surface modelling / SW surface modelling

rdharvey

Is auto desk inventors surface modelling capabilities similar to SW? I am asking as i'm thinking about following a tutorial but it was written for solidworks...

Just wondering if the tutorial would be too far out to follow using a different product than the one it is written around.

Thanks

There are certainly some difference but you can do almost everything in inventor as in SW(in my opinion). Working with projected geometry is more of a hassle in Inventor since you have to be in a 3d sketch. Also some of the surfacing tools are a little more friendly in SW.

What tutorial is it?

shift:It was a few tutorials on car modelling. I have used surface modelling in SW before and to be honest I prefer it to what I have seen from inventor so far.

shift:It was a few tutorials on car modelling. I have used surface modelling in SW before and to be honest I prefer it to what I have seen from inventor so far.

You might want to look into Alias for Inventor or even Alias Automotive.

I drew an audi r8 in Inventor and found the curve control rather difficult. Even though 2011 has upped their surfacing game the basics in spline creation hasnt changed. If you can get comfortable with how splines are handled in inventor and dont mind going into 3d sketches to create projected curves the process is the same. I did draw my airbike with inventor but frequently wished I had SW at home for the bodywork parts. Now I havent tried Alias for inventor which JD recommended so maybe it has some tools that make it a bit more tolerable. I have used alias auto and you will need to learn a totally different program/modeling method with that.