strange edges while modeling

nowikovs12

Hello :) I have this strange apearece of geometry while working in 3ds max, this has never happened before, usualy all the shapes are nice and solid, but this time when I move around, this is what I get, what could couse this problem? And how could I fix it? thank you :)

strange apearence.jpg

Did you create this model in Max or did you import it from Autocad?

Is your model sitting at X0,Y0 or is it far away from the origin?

Have you checked to make sure you don't have overlapping faces?

You might also want to take a look at this thread: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?45189-scratches-in-perspective-view

Hi Cad64, I imported a 2d plan in 3ds max, then traced the base with line, and applied shell to it, I don't quite understand the origin part,.. how can I check if it sits on x0 y0? I'm positive there are no overlaping. For some reason the exterior walls seam to be fine now, but I am working on floor now, and floors have thin layers of shell, and when I orbit they do have this problem. I beleave it is because they are too thin right? :)

Hi Cad64, I imported a 2d plan in 3ds max, then traced the base with line, and applied shell to it, I don't quite understand the origin part,.. how can I check if it sits on x0 y0?

The 2D plan you imported came from Autocad, correct?

Was it drawn at X0,Y0 or was it drawn out in space somewhere? Wherever the drawing sits in Autocad is where it will sit when imported into Max.

I will check your other thread about the floor.

right, I understand now,.. yes the plan was just somewhere in the space :roll: so every time, before I export the autocad file to max, I should move the whole plan to the x and y axis, were they meet up. I will kep that in mind Cad64 :) how do I align the model in 3ds max to the x and y axis? Because in autocad the axis are quite clear, were in 3ds max it is allways in the corner, how do I locate it so that I can move the model to the axis? Thanks again for your help Cad64, it has been a while since I've been bothering you with my silly questions :D

If your model is all one piece it's simple, just select the model and then change the numbers in the X and Y boxes at the bottom of the screen to 0. But if your model is made up of many pieces, it becomes more complicated because each piece with have it's own center point. So if you move them to 0, they will become misaligned unless you create a common center point for all objects before moving them. It would be easier to just move the 2D drawing in Autocad and then import back in.