Flat Pattern Problem

rberger

Hello, I had this same problem last week, but figured it out through a combination of things - now it's happening again and I can't solve it. For some reason my simple sheetmetal profile won't make a flat pattern properly....it's leaving the end curled up!!!! can someone take a look at the file and let me know what is wrong with the sketch? thanks!!!

scn-1.jpg

profile2.zip

scn-2.jpg

There is actually more to the part than what you currently see....with my limited knowledge of Inventor and the knowing proper approach to achieving the results I am looking for, the way I started it seemed like the best. The top of this item will have a 10deg angle on each side (think BB Chevy valve cover) and what I did was put work planes in and subtract the material.

As far as the constraints go...there were constraints assigned, but in my quest to solve why it won't unfold I removed them - it didn't make a difference.

Thank you for the .pdf . I will be reading and learning!

There is nothing inherently wrong with what you were doing - if - you followed robust techiniques with sheetmetal end result. Of course if this easy part doesn't work, what you haven't shown is only going to complicate the problem. I would tie down the techniques with more disciplin.

Thank you JD. I know I need ALOT more education.... Inventor is a totally different way of thinking from my 15+ years of Acad use. I appreciate your input - Thanks!!

• 5 years later...