How to pattern a hole in a curve surface.

CAnnondale

Hi Guys,

I need some help. I do have an angle plate with mounting holes. In the flat surface there is no problem on creating pattern but, with the curve surface I am having problem.

Any help is well appreciated. I have attach the file for reference. I am using AI 2010 Suite.

BTW, the distance of the hole is 100mm

Angle Plate.zip

Hi Willie,

This is what I would do.

First make a sketch on the top surface of the angle so you have a reference line from your first hole to the centre of rotatation of the angle bend. Place a plane tangent to the curved surface using the "Tangent to Surface through Point" command.

Create geometry for the hole and extrude it in both directions to make a full cut.

Select rectangular pattern, choose the hole(s) you wish to pattern and then select the edge of the curve of the angle iron bend. Now set up the parameters that I have shown activated in picture number 3. You will see a pattern of holes appear following the curve radius and tangential to it.

Finally just hide the reference sketch and tangent plane - job done.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Dave

Inst3.jpg

Inst2.jpg

Inst4.jpg

Inst1a.jpg

Edited by Hopinc

My apologies, I have just realised that you are using Inventor 2010. No matter, it's the same thing but you will just have to work a little harder to create the tangential drawing plane.

As 2010 does not have the extra drawing plane facilities that 2011 has, I had to draw two sketches on the top and bottom of the angle so I could use a 3-point selection to create the first drawing plane and then create a second at 90 degress (tangential) to it. After that everything is as I have previously posted.

There may be a quicker way to generate these planes in 2010, but it is sometime since I have used this program and I may have forgotten.

Regards,

Dave

Inst1b.jpg

Inst3b.jpg

Inst2b.jpg

You are quite welcome!

One more thing I want to illustrate is that you can use this technique for more complex patterning. Like the image of the hammer of my latest spare time project, a custom M1911 Colt .45 Semi-Automatic pistol. Note the serrations running around the periphery.

Using the same patterning method as above, all that is required is a sketched guide curve for the pattern to follow. The pattern to be cut does not have to be at the end of the guide curve, it can be anywhere along its length.

Regards all,

Dave

Inst4a.jpg

Edited by Hopinc