Sweep Error

Laurel

Hi

I am unsuccessfully trying to sweep a profile around a path and would appreciate any help on offer to resolve the matter. As you can see on the attached image below (if you have good eyes), I am getting an error message advising "Modeling failure while creating edges resulting frome face:face intersection.

I have attached a copy of the project in question:

Window.zip

If you open the assembly, you will find that it comprises of two parts; 'Frame 16mm DC Offset' and 'Foot and wedge extrusion'. We are concerned with the latter.

This part comprises of a profile (Sketch1) and a path (Sketch3). The path is basically projected geometry from the 'Frame ...' part. There is another sketch (Sketch2). I can successfully sweep sketch2 around sketch3, but have had no success sweeping sketch1.

Can anyone please tell me why?

Error.jpg

Hi,

It's because you path is not on the workplane sketch.

Create a new sketch on workplane 1 and select project geometry (the path) and the feature should sweep.

Thanks for the reply Ste. Someone else in Leeds, huh? (Any jobs going at UK-CAD? :) )

Sketch3 (the path) is already on workplane 1.

When I drew the sketch, I selected a face on the 'frame...' part as my sketch plane. This created workplane 1 on the 'foot and wedge' part, and is the basis of sketch3, the path.

Thanks for the reply Ste. Someone else in Leeds, huh? (Any jobs going at UK-CAD? :) )

Sketch3 (the path) is already on workplane 1.

When I drew the sketch, I selected a face on the 'frame...' part as my sketch plane. This created workplane 1 on the 'foot and wedge' part, and is the basis of sketch3, the path.

What I did was right click on Workplane 1, and create new sketch. Add your route on this sketch by selecting project geometry.

Send me a cv to ukcads@googlemail.com - I do not have any full time jobs, but I sometimes sub contract work out when I am overloaded. I may have a lot of 3D pipework to draw up early next year too.

EDIT: Sketch 3 is NOT on workplane 1. :)

Edited by Ste1978

Thanks for the help ste. I see now that you were right - the path sketch was not on the workplane (in my defence, I missed this when I was cutting down the project, trying to meet the upload size restrictions - sorry).

The problem tho, was that I couldn't understand why that made a difference. Surely, a sketch should still sweep along a valid path, regardless of which workplane it is on. Indeed, sketch2 swept ok along the path sketch, so why not sketch1?

I should have realised this earlier, but indicated that there was a problem with sketch1. Sketch1 is based on a sketch block, and it turns out that the problem was all to do with redundant points on that sketch block. Once I had cleared the sketch with sketch doctor, the sweep was successful.

Thanks again for your help Ste. Very appreciated.

BTW, I won't bother you with a CV just yet. I'm trying to arrange a collection of samples of my work. I might be in touch which I've someything to show. :)