Work plane Help please

MrJoshua

Work planes are something im still trying to get my head around, i mean in getting them to do what i want them to do.

I am designing some conveyor covers and for the life of me i cant work out how to get a work plane through a line i have created. According to the help files i think i should be trying to make a *work plane through an edge, line, or axis, normal to a face*

But i cant seem to be able to select the line, could someone please take a look at my current file and give me a tip on what im doing wrong?

I am trying to create a workplane between the 2 covers which are at 90 degrees so as i can create a lofted flange.

Here is the link to the assembly file. Its too big to upload here :( http://rapidshare.com/files/429590096/Conveyor_Covers.zip

Cheers Josh

cant you just select the edge then type in the angle you need?

and if you roll up your browser and compress your file will be a lot smaller and should upload on here. :)

Thanks for the reply Robert,

Yes i can get the desired angle without to many issues, its more the exact position im having problems with. The answer is probally staring me right in the face.

Im not sure you can roll up an assembly file? i did initially look for that option as i have done that before when posting on this forum, but i couldnt see and end of file marker at the bottom of the assembly tree.

Ah yeah i've just had a look and there is no marker. Hmm i've never uploaded an assembly.

Can you not produce the plane at the angle then offset another workplane to your desired destination? If you are trying to go between two lines and entering 90 degrees the angle of the two lines must be exactly 90 otherwise there is no way for the system to compute your input.

I usually do an angled plane and then offset from that... For some reason i couldn't download your file, maybe because i don't have an account with that rapid share thing. Feel free to pm me so i can give you my e mail address and ill have a quick look to see if i can help you out.

Rob

Hi,

I can't download you file either. I am not sure that I am reading your requirements correctly, but if I am, you should not really be experiencing many problems with planes, especially as you have the advanced facilities of Inventor 2011 at your disposal.

I have attached two images. The first shows a 3D sketch where I have selected one of the elements and chosen "Normal to Axis Through Point." the second shows a 2D sketch where I have used "Normal to Curve at Point." Please note that for the middle one of these planes I have just attached a point at a random place on the curve.

I wish I could view your file then I can be more specific. If you want to email the file to me at info@mdltd.org I will have a look at it for you as Rob has offered to, if you would like me to.

Regards,

Dave

plane2.jpg

plane.jpg

Edited by Hopinc

Hi Rob,

Just had a look at your message and I think it best that we switch to email rather than taking this thread over with the explanation. Please contact me at the above address.

If memory serves, I suggested that you contact the guy I did the tyre for and ask his permission for me to send you the file - did you do that by any chance?

Dave

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to

1. Drag the red End of Part marker to the top of the browser hiding all features.

2. Save the file in a rolled up state.

3. In Windows Explorer right click and select Sent to Compressed (zipped) Folder

4. and attach Windows zipped file so that anyone can extract?

im not sure how to roll up and assembly?...

You roll up the individual parts in the assembly. I don't like going to 3rd party sites as I have and mal-ware downloaded from these file hosting sites. I'm sure someone will come along and answer your question.

Hi J.D.,

I think it is about time that we asked the forum supervisor to create a fixed thread that appears at the start of the forum containing details of how to post model and assembly files.

Regards,

Dave

Hey Dave thanks so much, i have seen the light, was a silly mistake on my behalf (but to be honest i knew no better) Thanks again for everyones help.

And JD, i understand what your saying now, next time i will do as you say and see if i can get the file size under 250KB.

Cheers Josh