Unable to Sweep

Laurel

Seems like every project I start at the moment gives me problems :cry:

The image below shows the project I'm struggling with at the moment.

Frame.jpg

I am trying to create a part by sweeping the profile of sketch1 around the path of sketch2. Sketch1 is the lower of the 2 profiles shown, while sketch3 is the upper of the 2. Both sketches consist of representations of the same sketch block, but in different locations on the same plane.

I can sweep sketch3, but on trying to sweep sketch1, I get "Modeling failure while trimming and discarding faces."

I've successfully swept similar profiles around similar paths before, but I'm missing something here. Here is the part file if needed:

Frame.zip

Thanks very much.

THERE IS AN ISSUE WITH YOUR FIRST SKETCH. IT IS USUALLY BETTER PRACTICE TO HAVE TWO PATHS ASWELL RATHER THAN JUST USING ONE... I JUST COPIED YOUR PATH SKETCH AND RE INSERTED IT TO SWEEP THE TOP PROFILE. AS YOU CAN SEE IT WORKS WITH THE BASIC CIRCULAR GEOMETRY. THEREFORE THERE IS AN ISSUE WITH YOUR ORIGINAL SKETCH.

SWEEP.jpg

Frame 16mm DC Offset.jpg

I managed to sweep some of it ...i went into 3d sketch and project gemo but it wouldn't let me go all the way round.

i have also noticed that the line it won't go round has two lines connected ?

it looks like a point is on the line ?....is this the starting point ??

Frame 16mm DC Offset.jpg

THERE IS AN ISSUE WITH YOUR FIRST SKETCH. IT IS USUALLY BETTER PRACTICE TO HAVE TWO PATHS ASWELL RATHER THAN JUST USING ONE...

Thanks RD. I know that 2 paths would be better, but here, I only want to sweep sketch1, so only inluded one path. I inluded sketch3 to illustrate that the sweep is possible using sketches2 and 3, so the path must be ok, and yet both sketches 1 and 3 are based only on a sketched block, so these should be ok too. And yet I still can't sweep sketch 1...

I managed to sweep some of it ...i went into 3d sketch and project gemo but it wouldn't let me go all the way round. I have also noticed that the line it won't go round has two lines connected ?

it looks like a point is on the line ?....is this the starting point ??

Thanks Steve. I see what you mean - it does look like that doesn't it. It is however just the one line. The point on the line is the centre of the circle upon which the arc at the top of the path is based.

Thanks Steve. I did as you suggested, and managed to create the sweep, but when I constrained the arc as I need, the error returned.

I've tried to resolve the error by recreating the profile, unsuccessfully. It may however, shed some more light on the problem that someone might be able to explain.

The part file here: Sweep Error.zip shows a successful sweep of profile sketch5 around path sketch2. Sketch5 is currently only partially constrained as shown below:

Sweep Error.jpg

Look at the constraint in cyan of 14.584. If I change that to its proper dimension of 13.48 and finish the sketch, the sweep fails with "Modeling failure while trimming and discarding faces.".

I'm really at a loss to explain this, so if someone could please offer an explaination and solution, I'd be really grateful.

What about changing your rail to go on the outside of the profile instead of partially inside.

it would sweep more easily instead of intersecting on the bend.

Just a thought ...i aint that experienced in autodesk Paul... so if i don't make sense ignore this advice...lol

Steve

What about changing your rail to go on the outside of the profile instead of partially inside.

it would sweep more easily instead of intersecting on the bend.

Just a thought ...i aint that experienced in autodesk Paul... so if i don't make sense ignore this advice...lol

Steve

Well, I appreciate the suggestions Steve. Thanks very much. In the end I resorted to drawing the assembly in Autocad, and skipping inventor all together for this frame. I've drawn other frames since with Inventor, with similar specs no problem, but not with this frame.

Still don't know why. :)