How to Animate two Bevel Gears?

davido

Hi,

I'm having trouble visualizing how to constrain two basic bevel gears to have them rotate in tandem. I'm using Inventor 2011 Pro and I'm not sure what the exact steps are.

Thanks!

I'm not entirely sure, as I've never done anything like this, but if I were, I suppose I would approach it like this (whether it would work is a different matter :) ):

On your assembly, I assume that each gear is allowed to rotate on a shaft. Fully constrain each shaft so that they are correctly positioned in relation to each other. Constrain each gear to its shaft with an insert constraint, so that the gear is allowed to rotate on the shaft. Add each gear to the contact set, and turn the contact set on in the document options (under interactive contact).

I would hope that (providing each shaft and subsequent gear has been positioned ok) when one gear rotates, the other will rotate with it.

I must admit to being relatively new to contact sets. When I first asked for help with them (see here )

), it was suggested that "2d or 3d contact joints in dynamic simulation" might be the answer. They might be more suitable here, but I'm afraid I'm unable to help with that.

Hope this is helpful!!

I would use a Motion Constraint or a Cone-on-Cone Joint. You will need a surface body cone at the pitch diameter.

I would not use Contact Sets.

If you use the Design Accelerator the Motion Constraint will automatically be created.

Edit: I should have changed the Ratio in the Motion Constraint image to match the gear ratio. I think the Design Accelerator automatically adds the correct ratio.

Bevel Gears.jpg