"BREAK OUT" feature, does not show the object thickness

CAnnondale

Hi Guys,

I do have a query on the BREAK OUT feature. If you look at the attached image with a note saying "Thickness missing";

1. Can it be possible to show the thickness?

Its kind of weird how? the break out behaves. I expect that it would still show the thickness of the object. Because, it does not look professionally presented.

Breakout Thk Missing.jpg

BTW, the object was drawn in 3D and put into idw. I am using the "Through Part" Depth selection.

Hi Willie,

To achieve what you want you should not be using "through part," instead use "from point" and input a dimension.

As a demonstration of the difference between the two I have uploaded two images that use exactly the same sketch for a break out. The first is "through part" and the second is "from point." You can of course choose which parts of the assembly you want to participate in the section, the style and angle of the cross-hatching (please note that I have adjusted these on the 2nd image) and also have multiple break outs on the same drawing view.

The final image I have included as a more in depth example of using these break out techniques. I hope this resolves your problem.

Regards,

Dave

break-out demo1.jpg

break-out demo3.jpg

break-out demo4.jpg

Edited by Hopinc

Hi Willie,

To achieve what you want you should not be using "through part," instead use "from point" and input a dimension.

As a demonstration of the difference between the two I have uploaded two images that use exactly the same sketch for a break out. The first is "through part" and the second is "from point." You can of course choose which parts of the assembly you want to participate in the section, the style and angle of the cross-hatching (please note that I have adjusted these on the 2nd image) and also have multiple break outs on the same drawing view.

The final image I have included as a more in depth example of using these break out techniques. I hope this resolves your problem.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the assistance.

I have question on "from point" options. Why? is it creating a triangular shape of cut. Can it be done in any boundary like the one I have created.

Hmm!

Inventor has created that triangular shape because of the depth of break out I have chosen, and because the splined sketch that I created to make the break out is in relationship to the isometric view. The point I chose to begin the break out was on the angle iron, and I had excluded the angle from the break out. The shape of cut can easily be changed by dragging around the spline and altering the depth of the cut.

However, what you specifically want to achieve is easy on a drawing board, but not so easy with Inventor in drawing mode. The short answer is that I know no way of producing exactly what you want. This is due to the fact that the break out is always in relationship to the view chosen. The particular shape of cut you want is actually on two different planes.

That said, it is possible to produce something similar (but not perfect). To do this I made one break out on the side elevation and projected my isometric from that view. Then I made another break out on the isometric, and fiddled with the spline shape, depth of break out and break out point. Perfect it's not.

In the first attached image, the side elevation is of course obvious, the topmost isometric is projected from that view, the bottom one is with a second cut-out made on the isometric view. Image No.2 is a close up of the result.

I think a better option for you is to make the cuts on the assembly itself - these can be suppressed when required. Then just projecting the view you want onto your drawings (see image 3). Please note that this method will not have any cross-hatching.

break-out1.jpg

break-out2.jpg

break-out3.jpg

Hmm!

Inventor has created that triangular shape because of the depth of break out I have chosen, and because the splined sketch that I created to make the break out is in relationship to the isometric view. The point I chose to begin the break out was on the angle iron, and I had excluded the angle from the break out. The shape of cut can easily be changed by dragging around the spline and altering the depth of the cut.

However, what you specifically want to achieve is easy on a drawing board, but not so easy with Inventor in drawing mode. The short answer is that I know no way of producing exactly what you want. This is due to the fact that the break out is always in relationship to the view chosen. The particular shape of cut you want is actually on two different planes.

That said, it is possible to produce something similar (but not perfect). To do this I made one break out on the side elevation and projected my isometric from that view. Then I made another break out on the isometric, and fiddled with the spline shape, depth of break out and break out point. Perfect it's not.

In the first attached image, the side elevation is of course obvious, the topmost isometric is projected from that view, the bottom one is with a second cut-out made on the isometric view. Image No.2 is a close up of the result.

I think a better option for you is to make the cuts on the assembly itself - these can be suppressed when required. Then just projecting the view you want onto your drawings (see image 3). Please note that this method will not have any cross-hatching.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. I will play on the options to get the feel. Once again thank you, appreciated it.