Modeling Realistic Fabric

xxdef1antxx

Im having a little trouble getting fabric to look realistic, im not talking textures and colors and things like that. Im talking how do I model it so its not just a textered surface but a 3d surface that will show craeses and other imperfections.

P.S. this is for a patent dwg so no drawings can be put up showing you guys what im kind of after.

thanks

To add to Marks list you could also look at using Zbrush or Mudbox. Mudbox s free for 30 days. the problem would be importing into Inventor as Inventor does not open .obj files without buying a plugin, with Max you can save out as a .step file that would open in Inventor.

Hi Guys,

Mark is correct in that Inventor is not the ideal tool for doing this type of work.

That said, if it's all you have got, with some experimentation (a lot if you are not familiar with Inventor Studio) and persistence, a reasonable facsimile can be presented. I don't think Inventor Studio's facilities are half bad for what is really a design engineers tool.

I am not saying that you will ever achieve total realism, but I don't feel a bland dismissal of Inventor Studio's capabalities is necessarily in order either. Don't be afraid to have a go!

cushion.jpg

Edited by Hopinc

hi JD,

that seat looks impressive! can you tell me how to do a realistic view of wood and marble? I have drawn a front desk with stone on top of it but how to make it look real?

I'm very new in CAD...