Multi-part sheet metal? Need to create one large top, comprised of multiple parts

em_inventor

I have seen an earlier forum post "question regarding mulit-part sheet metal", i need to get round the same problem, but i'm using 2010 so i am unable to view the workaround files in the post.

I have a large sheet metal top, which is to be welded to form one piece, I need to work on the top as a whole, but have the flat patterns for each part. I need to split it where the planes are, see image.

I have found that by converting the master to a standard part i can use the split tool, but it splits the whole top along the axis of the plane. And the select faces tool is messy and difficult to use with the number of face on the solid as it was oringinally sheet metal.

Is there a work around for this, or am i just missing something?

Any help very much appricated.

Top_Master.zip

image.pdf

I noticed that your first sketch is not constrained or making use of symmetry about the origin.

You might want to read this document http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

You don't need all of those workplanes for the split it can be done with a single sketch (like attached image or some variation).

I would probably split faces (not part) and then Derive Component in another file and Thicken panels as needed (do one, Save As, undo, do next until all finished).

Don't forget to set the sheet metal thickness in the derived.

Split line.png

Thank you for that!! I'm still a little confused about the best way to get the separte parts out. This is how I'm doing it, have I got this right?

First I model the overall top using sheet metal tools, then convert to standard part. Use the split faces tool to break my model into the required parts, (this means i can keep the neat flanges and mitered corners, which is good).

Then I use the thicken tool with the option for create new solid turned on, select the outside faces of my master model, thicken to match the orginal sheet metal template, then use make part and derive the part back into the sheet metal template.

Is there an easy way to delete the inside faces of my oringinal sheet metal model once it has been turned into a solid? To make selecting the correct faces easier when spliting?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by em_inventor