more than one current product

chelsea1307

not sure if this has been discussed before, but is there a way to add more than one current Autodesk product to the profile? Currently I use AutoCAD 2011, AutoCAD MEP 2011, and Revit MEP 2011 but can only show one on my profile

This could be done if we all feel it would be beneficial. We run the risk of cluttering up the profile area with too much information but I understand that most of us use more than one application - probably 3 or 12! One approach would be to treat this in the same way that we treat the computer specification details - using a drop-down list. A primary application could be shown on the profile and then a drop-down list showing other applications.

Do we think this might be useful?

• 3 weeks later...
Yes!

Definately.

It would save having to keep telling people on Threads what Software/versions you are using.

It still means that you have to specify which of the softwares listed that you are referring too :thumbsup:

Yes but for example

"What version of AutoCAD are you using"

It would mean that other users would know all the information they need to help straight away.

Yes, the version of only one program.

I dont only use AutoCAD.

If I had chosen to have 'Inventor 2010' under my name instead, then posted a thread asking for help with AutoCAD, you wouldn't know what version of CAD I am using unless I mention in the post. And alot of people don't.

Its not really a problem at all, and im just new here so my opinion hardly matters, just throwing the idea out there :)

I think it's probably a good idea. The more information provided the better. I just need to think how best to implement this without causing confusion. Maybe the primary sofware application is displayed in the postbit (as now) and then others in the profile?

I think that would be a better idea. That would definatly stop confusion.

I mean its not a totally crucial feature to have on the Forums and really makes little difference to most people using the Forum, so I wouldnt worry about it if its reallyu difficult to implement. But if it is possible, I would do it because it is certainly an improvement in my eyes.

:)

What about if you leave it as it, except that when you hover the cursor over the primary application, the other apps would show in sort of a "tooltip"?

Dude that is by far the best idea.

I dont know how difficult it would be to do though?

CSS Styles to hover over and run an SQL query in the cadtutor DB to lookup the particular users programs?

Im sure there will be better, quicker and easier ways to do it than how I suggest.

But seriously that would be a really good idea, it would save people having to click through to a users profile just to find out what Software they use.

Bravo rkmcswain :thumbsup:

Infact better method:

When the page is loaded (any thread I mean with posts), run the SQL Query to SELECT from the users DB for what programs the users on that page use, store the result as a local variable, then make a Javascript onMouseOver function to display the value of that variable.

That way it will not use so much Bandwidth and not stress the Database.

-Craig

Thats brilliant.

I was actually thinking that there must be something in place because it wouldn't really be feasible to do that for EVERY single piece of information to display on a page.

I dont actually even know how VBulletin stores all the data. I assumed it would be in a DB. Thats really handy though that you are given an Array with all the Data and all you have to do is call it/read it.

Thanks.

I just think that it is a good idea to have all the programs a user uses stored, so people can see them. I have seen people signatures that have a list of all the programs they use written there. It would save people having to put that sort of thing in there Signature as really it is profile information.

-Craig

• 7 months later...

I'm working through some of the feedback suggestions we've had over the past 12 months and this one is now due for implementation. My plan is to work on the same principle as with the recent "Discipline" feature, using vB's internal pop-up feature. A member will be able to select a primary application from a predefined list of options (as at present) and then have the option of giving details of additional applications used.

It's also a good time to review the general principles involved. When this forum was first set up, it was intended as an AutoCAD only forum but as Autodesk have branched out, we've included other applications. Is it now time to broaden still further? For example, some members may be primary users of SketchUp, Microstation or Solid Works (non-Autodesk products). Would it be sensible to include these as options? If so, what other applications should be included?