problem with copy and pasting autocad file

gargoyle27

so i have a whole folder full of cross sections of c channels and i beams etc (pretty sure they came with autocad) so i use them when i am making something that uses a specific c channel etc. because they are correct, now sometimes i run into a problem when i copy and paste the drawing into inventor (i may get in trouble for doing such a thing :S ), for stuff like hss it works fine i just have to fully constrain the whole thing, but for other shapes its hit and miss, right now i am using an i beam shape that doesn't let me fully constrain it, it keeps saying "dimension could not be solved" which doesn't make sense

what can i do to make it work? or is there a better solution to copying and pasting?

i have also had a similar thing happen when i draw it from scratch (instead of pasting it) but only once and i was able to get it to work in the end

here is the file in question, be aware that i have kept all the dimensions as they were in the original drawing, so it might look a little funny

i beam supports.zip

Hi,

For some reason there is one offending dimension that is causing your problem with this section, see attached image with the red highlighted fillet. Removing the radius dimension and replacing it in Inventor corrects the error. I have also attached a fixed file for you with this dimensions replaced.

I can offer no explanation as to why this is happening. There is nothing wrong with cutting and pasting from AutoCAD into Inventor, I do it all the time. Normally though I don't take dimensions through. I prefer to add those within Inventor itself.

I-beam.jpg

i beam supports.zip

so i have a whole folder full of cross sections of c channels and i beams etc (pretty sure they came with autocad) so i use them when i am making something that uses a specific c channel etc. because they are correct,.....

Have you found one in the Frame Generator or Content Center that is not correct? Or is it missing?

i hadn't even tried either of those things... i know that content centre doesn't work for some reason, but i can give frame generator a shot

and hopinc, i only pasted the lines, i added all the dimensions in inventor, so your guess is as good (likely better) than mine as to why it went weird

Hi Gargoyle27,

Following on from your last post, I re-visited your file and checked your constraints network. The reason you were getting an error is that your original sketch was over-constrained.

I had not realised that you had applied constraints and dimensions within Inventor. By deleting the dimension I had also removed the extra unnecessary constraint.

Whenever you see something turn pink in a sketch you know you have an error that needs attention.

Regards,

Dave