how to transfer holes etc from iam to ipts

gargoyle27

so i have a large table we're making and i have everything arranged but not until making the assembly did i know where a lot of the bolt holes will need to be drilled, is there an easy and fast way to transfer all the hole locations from where i know they should be in assembly, to the part file? i don't really want to measure and write down all the measurements so i can drill the holes

any help would be great, thanks

You need to use Bolted Connection on the Design Accelerator Tab. This will drill the holes in the assembly and down to the parts. If you already have the holes in the parts there is much longer work around. But BC is the developed method.

You can use Feature Migrator (not supported and found on http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/ADN_plugins/catalog/) or you can you in place modification of the features.

This is done by editing the part in the assembly and projecting edges from one part to another for referencing with Project Geometry. Now this opens up the Adaptive question of whether you want the geometry to update automatically or if you want it to only be used once for referencing. Adaptivity has a whole set of rules around it. You can learn about those rules in the help section (search Adaptivity > Guidelines).

If you don't want the geometry to be adaptive, then simple hold down CTRL as you use Project Geometry to not carry the adaptive link.

..... but i'll try that next time this comes up

Now that you know how Inventor works (like real world part level/assembly match machining) you should not see that come up again. :)