Adaptive spring in inventor 2010

Calibos

Sometime ago (steve wright) gave us a task, to produce an adpative spring and animate it in AI 2010.

I kept the design and parts..(3 off) to a very simple level, and managed to get what we wanted...only by trial and error though!

AI seems to fight the constraining of the spring part,to the other 2 parts and i kept getting over constraining errors at a certain point.

After turning my browser to modelling view, with constraints at the top, i noticed there seemed to be too many adaptive constraints appearing.

I deleted one of them, and hey presto it worked...but i still dont know to this day, why?

i will upload the file later when i edit this post, so you can study the simple ipt. and iam.

I draw the same from scratch now and still cant get it to work, after assembling it.

Where am i going wrong?

Click the link above to view the rendered animation.

Zipped files at bottom have E.O.P marker dragged to bottom, the last file is the assembly(iam.), the other 3 are the ipt. files themselves.

Try the 3 ipt. files and put them in an assembly yourself 1st, to see if you can drive the constraint to make it compress.

Calibos icon11.gif

springbar.zip

spring.zip

mobileblock.zip

adaptive spring.zip

Edited by Calibos

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve_wright

• Calibos

• rdharvey

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sometime ago (steve wright) gave us a task, to produce an adpative spring and animate it in AI 2010.

I kept the design and parts..(3 off) to a very simple level, and managed to get what we wanted...only by trial and error though!

AI seems to fight the constraining of the spring part,to the other 2 parts and i kept getting over constraining errors at a certain point.

After turning my browser to assembly view with constraints at the top, i noticed there seemed to be too many adaptive constraints appearing.

I deleted one of them, and hey presto it worked...but i still dont know to this day, why?

i will upload the file later when i edit this post, so you can study the simple ipt. and iam.

I draw the same from scratch now and still cant get it to work, after assembling it.

Where am i going wrong?

Click the link above to view the rendered animation.

Calibos icon11.gif

Search this forum i have created a adaptive Spring with an Example

http://autodeskinventorusers.ning.com/forum

Hi Dave

This was the problem i was trying to sort out but never managed it...i too struggled with the adaptive spring infact there alot of different ways you can make a spring and tried all of them...lol

anyway lets hope someone can give us a little tip and put us out of our misery...lol

Steve:?

clampnew.png

Edited by Steve_wright

clamp render.jpg

double clamp render.jpg

do you like this ste..looks a lot better with key shot only picks up on one of the springs tho...weird

Edited by Calibos

lots of different ways?? you only know the one i taught ya ..show us the others m8

well maybe not allot of different ways but i have seen an option some where... where you can insert a spring think it's in dynamic simulation not sure ..if i remember right there were three ways .

I prefer to not use "Adaptive" features/sketches as they are too slow.

I give the spring a length parameter and then animate that length in Inventor Studio. The disadvantage is you can't simply drag the movable bodies and have the spring adapt, the advantage is you can simply animate the spring length in studio and the bodies constrained to the spring move on their remaining degrees of freedom.

The other method mentioned here is a "Spring Force" which is trivially easy to set up in Dynamic Simulation, but although it appears to create visual representation of a solid body - it doesn't actually create an ipt. Usually this isn't really needed as springs are generally purchased parts.

So these two methods involve being in either the Studio or Dynamic Simulation environments rather than in the Assembly environment. When I am assembling something I know how it moves anyhow - so the need to actuallly see a spring compress/stretch isn't high on my list of needs. If I need it animated for eye candy I can do that in Studio when the rest of the work is done. No adaptive features to slow down my work.

Thank You very much for the reply J D !

(Quote)

I give the spring a length parameter and then animate that length in Inventor Studio. The disadvantage is you can't simply drag the movable bodies and have the spring adapt, the advantage is you can simply animate the spring length in studio and the bodies constrained to the spring move on their remaining degrees of freedom.

High lighted in red is probably the nearest desired affect i want ....now doing it "for me" is going to be hard....i'll give it a go lol

but i'll be honest with you aint looking forward to it...lol

Thank You for the link Dave !

Ste

Below is the constraint i want to use ...the spring was made in create part in assembly

the spring has a drive constraint which works.

thing is i can't seem to constrain the plate to the spring?

any of you guys know what i am doing wrong?

Cheers

Ste

clampnewspring.jpg

Edited by Steve_wright

Mate constraint the axis of the spring to the axis of the cylinder.

(next step two options)

Mate or Mate Flush the workplane of the spring to the face you indicate (this will result is a little penetration of the spring into the plate).

or

Tangent constraint the spring to the plate.

(repeat for other end of spring)

Thank You J D :thumbsup:

ok here is what i have done... ( below is as much info.. as i can get... to show you what is happening :?.)

I constrained the z axis on the spring to the centre of the rod ...worked fine ty

then i constrained the xy plane to the bottom part of the "area" of the spring ... worked fine.

now i constrained the the other xy plane which was offset 20mm from the bottom xy plane. which worked... but never actually connected to the plate as shown in the diagram.:cry:

Now you are probably wondering why the hell do i want to do all this ....

the answer is simple i started the project and simply want to finish it showing as much movement of the clamp as possible.

mad i know lol

anyway have a quick look for me and if it is to complex to explain then thats ok i will understand and simply give up..lol

Cheers.

Steve

clampnewste.jpg

wheres this project come from? i want a blast!

Sorry rd...this was simply a clamp we use at work, and we decided to transfer it onto AI and see how much we could get it to look and act like the real thing..i could transfer it to drawings for you if u wish!! and post em on here!!

Sorry rd...this was simply a clamp we use at work, and we decided to transfer it onto AI and see how much we could get it to look and act like the real thing..i could transfer it to drawings for you if u wish!! and post em on here!!

that would be great calibos :)