rotate model

JPlanera

I drafted everything in XZ plane and made my model. But now I want it to be in the XY plane.. I can rotate with "move bodies" but the sketches remain in the XZ plane, is there a way to keep the sketches with the model??

Hi,

Yes there is a way to rotate your base model sketch onto a new plane, but depending on how complex your model is, the resulting re-alignment might be unpredictable, and generate errors that you will have to correct.

To re-orient your model first make the drawing plane you want your model to orient to visible (making it visible is not strictly necessary, but you might find the visual reference useful). Right click on the base sketch in the history tree and from the pop down menu select "redefine." Now pick the plane of your choice.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Dave

Yes I am aware of this and yes, it is complex enough to where i do get a few time consuming, correctable errors. I was hoping there was a way to do it without all the redefining... Thank you for the reply

No worries, I can muscle through it. I am working with another company on a project and was fed wrong information on how my models will appear in the second program.... Needless to say i advanced well into my end of the project and was informed of this miscommunication. Eh, such is life...

Ah - I see! So it's an orientation problem when the model/assembly is taken into a 3rd party program.

Forgive my idle curiousity, but do you know what the other program is?

Regards,

Dave

It is a forging simulator called DeForm. The simulation would work in any orientation, however, the data results plot more clearly and are understood better if everything is "real world"

I didn't know there was any such thing as a forging simulator - but then again, why shouldn't there be!

Thanks for the explanation.

Good luck,

Dave

Yes it is quite an amazing product. I have seat here and it is astonishing how close to reality it is. You are right! :) Nowadays there is a software program for everything!

Thank you for the help