2D sketch vs 3D sketch ???

vertical horizons

I still do not understand the difference between the two.

(I posted this question months ago, and still don't get it.)

In Inventor, we create 2D objects, then, using extrude, revolve, sweep, etc. we change the 2D objects into a 3D object. Therefore, why (or when) would you use the 3D sketch instead of 2D sketch?

Have you done the tutorials in my signature?

Most often used in Sweep paths and occasionally lofts.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%2011%20Tutorial%207.pdf

already created for you in this one - examine the 3D sketch

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%202011%20Tutorial%2014.pdf

If you are in the piping field you would utilize 3D sketch majority of time. In doing piping layout of a building you are constantly changing your axis. You are moving from xy to yz to xz. It all depends on the direction of the pipe.

Also if you want to do any projected curves in Inventor you need to do that in a 3d sketch. This is where a curve is created from the intersection of two 2D curves.

Thanks for the appreciation, but actually it is nothing really special. It is just a little 3D sketching and sweeping, together with an assembly of parts and some weldments thrown in.

Believe me when I say that it is nothing you could not do yourself. Check out the internet, there are many good video's on using Inventor. I think it is much better to see it done once, than read it in a book or help page, and then struggle through the process yourself.

Good luck.

Regards,

Dave

Hi vertical horizons,

basically the difference between them is that in 2D Sketch you have to choose a plane (XY etc) on which you want to draw and in 3D you don't have to choose a plane you can sketch in 3-Dimensions.

As you can see in the attachment, I have created the circle on the XY plane using 2D Sketch, and then I used the 3D sketch to sketch the lines in the Isometric view.

Kind Regards,

Aboodios.

2d3dsketch.jpg

Yes, you are right, but most 3D sketches are acutally a combination of drawing on fixed planes and from one plane to the other.

When sketching in 3D you will see a little 3D trident that are standard 3 planes, if you select one of these planes your sketch will be on that plane, you can then change from one plane to another.

Afterwards you can apply constraints and dimensions to the various sketch elements if you wish to snap them to parralel, perpendicular, equal, angle, distance, etc.

You can always join two or more sketches placed on 2D planes with a 3d sketch. It is a very flexible system.

My advice is to keep rotating your 3D sketch, viewing it from different angles, or you may find that you don't quite get what you expected.

If you wish to turn you sketch into a sweep you must NOT have sharp corners, they have to be curved and your section should be perpendicular to the axis of one end (either) of the sketch.

To move things around a bit, edit your 3-D sketch and right click on a line end point, select "3D Move/Rotate" from the pop down menu. A 3D trident will appear (see image 3) and you will be able to drag (or use exact dimensions) the end of the line either along a chosen vector or anywhere in space using the ball of the 3D trident.

3dSketch2.jpg

3dSketch1.jpg

3dSketch3.jpg

3dSketch4.jpg

Edited by Hopinc