Rename and or Copy Files?

BillB

Hello again,

I run into this problem quite often and I hope someone out there can point me in the right direction. I often do preliminary Part and Assembly models for quote purposes for various customers of ours. We don’t assign job numbers (Ex: 10-400) until we actually get the job, so I will have a file with parts (.ipt) and assemblies (.iam) with names such as MOUNTING PLATE-1.ipt, FRAME ASSY.iam and so forth. So, I need to find the simplest way to change the entire file/folder over to our numbering system once we get the job, and also it would be helpful in the “What If” scenario such as making one part and or assembly and trying different designs on it or with it.

I’m not sure if I should be using Pack and Go, Copy, or what?... or if there is another method that would be more suitable. I hope this makes sense and that there is somebody out there that can explain or point me in some direction.

Thank you in advance for any input.

BillB

Use Design Assistant to rename files (I assume you are not using Vault).

Start>All Programs>Inventor>Design Assistant for some reason it always takes me a bit to figure out Design Assistant (not as discoverable as it might be and I only use it once every couple of years).

Hi J.D. thanks for the reply and your correct in you assumption that I am not using Vault, just a single seat operation at this time. I will give your suggestion a go and see how it works out for me. I even thought I might need to give "Derived Component" a try, I can see that in some instances that it would be a good tool to understand and use. Thanks again J.D., I appreciate it very much.

BillB

• 3 years later...
Use Design Assistant to rename files (I assume you are not using Vault).

Start>All Programs>Inventor>Design Assistant for some reason it always takes me a bit to figure out Design Assistant (not as discoverable as it might be and I only use it once every couple of years).

Works great except for the top level assembly file name.