someone is trying to log on here with my user name

rkent

I just got an email from cadtutor that someone tried 5 times to access my account from IP 192.251.226.206. Anyone else have this happen to them? I am not sure why someone would want to get into this account illegally.

Can't think of a reason why anyone would attempt to do that here of all places. It's not like they're going to learn any secrets. Now if they were trying to hack into your bank account then I could understand it.

Has not happen to me (knocks on wood)...so far.:unsure:

I just got an email from cadtutor that someone tried 5 times to access my account from IP 192.251.226.206. Anyone else have this happen to them? I am not sure why someone would want to get into this account illegally.

Looked that IP address up on stopforumspam.com with this result:

192.251.226.206 appears in our database 42 times.

Hostname: anonymizer2.blutmagie.de

Country of origin is Germany.

You may been phished by some website you visited. If you use Facebook, there's a phishing scam going on there that lots of folks have fallen prey to of late. You'll see a friend who you think has shared a news article about some girl who allegedly killed herself after her father posted some desparaging comments about her. Lured in by sympathy or curiosity, you make the mistake of clicking on it, and like most facebook applications it asks for permission to access your public information, only what happens if you allow it is that it goes on a phishing trip to grab logons and passwords.

I fell for that one, fortunately my Norton screamed bloody murder and killed the application.

When one participates in social networking expect to catch some social networking diseases. I have a real bad feeling about such websites as Facebook.

You have to be careful while on the internet, just as if you were walking down the street. I use Facebook a lot, as does a good portion of my family and friends. It makes it easy for us to keep up with what's going on, a place to share pictures, and so forth. I have friends and family scattered all over the world so seeing them or talking on the phone is not always practical. You can put too much info out on any site, and there are people committed to nefarious activity in every thing we humans endeavor to do. No website is completely safe from hackers, no computer is immune to penetration. The exception being the one that never gets used on a network or the internet.

I am in the process of building a web based business, and intend to conduct 99% of that business online. I hate talking to John Q. Public on the phone, and I don't like dealing with the public in a live retail store. Either store must advertise to survive, and sites such as Facebook and Twitter make that affordable and easy. Web based businesses face some danger of being hacked but if you are hooked up with reputable providers for your website and payments and use a good antivirus/firewall there is little to fear. Still, there are people out there who if they want in, they'll get in, just as a determined burglar will get in your house if he wishes. While I'm not going to let that possibility keep me from owning and enjoying a house, I do lock the doors and windows when I leave.

I just checked the IP address in our database and there are no registered members with that address, but as Jack O'neill said, the address does appear multiple times on stopforumspam.com. So he is up to no good.

There's really nothing we can do, but if you want, you can go to stopforumspam.com and punch in his address. When the list pops up, click on one of the blue address links. This will take you to another page where you can click on the "whois lookup" at the top of the page. This will give you some interesting information about him.

Have fun :twisted:

Its tempting to try to track these jackals down and give them a taste of thier own medicine. Amusing as that thought is, unless you are an extremely skilled hacker, you could find yourself in a heap of trouble if you got caught. Best just to "lock the doors and windows" as best you can and get on with life. An aquaintance of mine runs an online sporting goods store (or did until he sold it and retired, the dog!). He got hacked a couple years ago, but the intruder didn't try to steal anything. He photoshopped a bunch of naked people into his catalog displays. The guy wasn't as clever as he thought, and the authorities tracked him down. Turns out it was a disgruntled customer who wanted twice his money back for something he says was improperly advertised.

You can put too much info out on any site...

So very true - I see it quite a lot: people uploading full personal details to Facebook without a clue that in some cases such details may be viewed by everyone and anyone.

I would follow two simple rules when it comes to the internet:

1) Never upload anything you don't want the world to see.

2) Remember that nothing can be deleted from the internet: once uploaded, it's there for good, cached somewhere for someone to find if they wanted to.

Happy Surfin'!

Lee

• 3 weeks later...

you don't even have to upload it yourself :x

some kind person copied word for word my daughter's birth announcement onto a forum of all places. It was there for days before I spotted it and went nuts at the mods to remove my surname and H's Christian names :reallymad:

some kind person copied word for word my daughter's birth announcement onto a forum of all places. It was there for days before I spotted it and went nuts at the mods to remove my surname and H's Christian names :reallymad:

That's bad - especially with the recent rise in identity theft cases nowadays - I think some people really don't know how dangerous the internet can be. I still can't believe the amount of personal data that people put on social networking site such as Facebook for all to see.