Problems creating a hipped roof in 3ds

Rikuziyi

Hi, so yeah... all i want to do is create a simple roof (well actually the final roof is a little more complicated)

I've drawn the roof shape with the line tool (rectangle, 2 triangles for the ends and a joining line down the centre), extruded the shape a little, converted into poly and dragged the 2 centre verteces up. I'm supposed to have a simple roof shape but instead its just extruded the lines and theres a rather wierd poly at the bottom... i dont get this at all!!!!

I have found after hours of puzzling, that where 3 lines connect the verteces wont connect, maybe this has somthing to do with it??

Why is it so difficult to create such a simple shape????

Theres also a tut if you search for how to model a roof which uses this method, but i still cant get it to work.

I'll try and post an image of what i'm getting, thanks in advance!

There are many tutuorials on how to model a roof. Which one were you following? It looks like the way you're doing it is sort of unnecessarily complicated.

The way I would do it is:

Create a box at the required dimensions for the base of the roof. Something like 10' x 20' x 4"

Convert to editable poly

Switch to polygon selection mode

Select top polygon

Inset

Switch to the Move tool and drag the inset polygon up

Adjust size of top polygon as necessary.

I just tried what I described above and it took about 10 seconds.

Untitled-1.jpg

Thanks for your reply... :)

roof help2.jpgThis tut is the way i'm doing it http://www.ehow.com/how_5197734_model-roof-autodesk-studio-max.html

The roof i need to create is a cruciform shape which also flares out abit at the bottom. One i get the basic shape i should be able to tweak the vertices to fit the plans. I would normally trace the side section and extrude along but because its hipped that wont work.

I've attached the plan so you can see what i mean.roof help2.jpg

• 2 months later...

box upside down, for work ability you MUST ALIGN THE AXIS TO 0,0,0

THE THINEST SIDE must have only 1 segment for performance

step1.jpg

apply a bend modifier and adjust along the Z axis or the axis which applys to you.

for the bend modifier to work you MUST have enough segments while keeping an eye on performance segmentsCapture2.jpg

add a box and align it to the roof, leave a bit if desired for style hehe...Capture3.jpg

mapping can be difficult due to the type of surface and since shingles are so square i just used a simple roofing and wood materialcapture 4.jpg