Count the number of different values in 8 textbox

lubracali

Hello everyone.

I am developing a project and I would create a command that scrolls the values of 8 textboxes and tell me how many different values among them there are.

For example, if the values are (1 - 2 - 2 - 1 - 3 - 5 - 1 - 3) the msgbox should say "4" because the values different from each other are (1,2,3,5).

Should be inserted into a more complex project, but for now I created a simple project to study the problem, but I have several problems.

I created 8 TextBoxes and a CommandButton.

This is the code of the commandbutton

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Me.Hide

Dim txt(1 To  As Double

txt(1) = TextBox1.Text
txt(2) = TextBox2.Text
txt(3) = TextBox3.Text
txt(4) = TextBox4.Text
txt(5) = TextBox5.Text
txt(6) = TextBox6.Text
txt(7) = TextBox7.Text
txt( = TextBox8.Text

Dim I As Integer
Dim J As Integer
Dim contatore As Variant

contatore = 1

For J = 1 To 8
For I = J To 8
   If txt(J) <> txt(I) Then
   contatore = contatore + 1
   Else
   contatore = contatore
   End If
Next I
Next J
MsgBox contatore, vbOKOnly, "contatore"

Me.Show

End Sub

The problem is : it counts how many times the values are different from each other and not how many values are different.

I hope someone can help me or even recommend a way :)

You need to step through the list of texts (one-at-a-time), and store the individual numbers to a variable list, *IF* that number does not already belong to the variable list.

Then report the value of the variable list, the count of different numbers, etc..

Hope this helps!

You need to step through the list of texts (one-at-a-time), and store the individual numbers to a variable list, *IF* that number does not already belong to the variable list.

Then report the value of the variable list, the count of different numbers, etc..

Hope this helps!

For sure!

Thank you very much

I learned to use the collection object, and I wrote this.

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Me.Hide

Dim txt(1 To  As Double
Dim database As New Collection

txt(1) = TextBox1.Text
txt(2) = TextBox2.Text
txt(3) = TextBox3.Text
txt(4) = TextBox4.Text
txt(5) = TextBox5.Text
txt(6) = TextBox6.Text
txt(7) = TextBox7.Text
txt( = TextBox8.Text

Dim I As Integer
Dim J As Integer

For J = 1 To 8
For I = 1 To 8
   If txt(J) <> txt(I) Then
             If Find(database, txt(J)) Then
             Else
             database.Add (txt(J))
               End If
           Else
   End If
Next I
Next J

MsgBox database.Count, vbOKOnly, "contatore"

Me.Show
End Sub

Function Find(database As Collection, valore As Double) As Boolean
For k = 1 To database.Count
If database.Item(k) = valore Then
Find = True
Exit For
End If
Next
End Function

Now it works!

Another thing you can do is most .Net collections have a contains method thats returns a boolean

This iterates through all the textboxes and adds only if it is not already in the collection

[color=blue]Private[/color] [color=blue]Sub[/color] Button1_Click([color=blue]ByVal[/color] sender [color=blue]As[/color] System.[color=#2b91af]Object[/color], [color=blue]ByVal[/color] e [color=blue]As[/color] System.[color=#2b91af]EventArgs[/color]) [color=blue]Handles[/color] Button1.Click

[color=blue]Dim[/color] lst [color=blue]As[/color] [color=blue]New[/color] [color=#2b91af]List[/color]([color=blue]Of[/color] [color=blue]Integer[/color])

[color=blue]For[/color] [color=blue]Each[/color] ctrl [color=blue]As[/color] [color=#2b91af]Control[/color] [color=blue]In[/color] [color=blue]Me[/color].Controls

[color=blue]If[/color] [color=blue]TypeOf[/color] ctrl [color=blue]Is[/color] [color=#2b91af]TextBox[/color] [color=blue]Then[/color]

[color=blue]If[/color] [color=blue]Not[/color] lst.Contains(ctrl.Text) [color=blue]Then[/color]
                   lst.Add(ctrl.Text)
               [color=blue]End[/color] [color=blue]If[/color]

[color=blue]Next[/color]

[color=blue]For[/color] [color=blue]Each[/color] element [color=blue]In[/color] lst
           MsgBox(element)
       [color=blue]Next[/color]

[color=blue]End[/color] [color=blue]Sub[/color] 

Another thing you can do is most .Net collections have a contains method thats returns a boolean

This iterates through all the textboxes and adds only if it is not already in the collection

[color=blue]Private[/color] [color=blue]Sub[/color] Button1_Click([color=blue]ByVal[/color] sender [color=blue]As[/color] System.[color=#2b91af]Object[/color], [color=blue]ByVal[/color] e [color=blue]As[/color] System.[color=#2b91af]EventArgs[/color]) [color=blue]Handles[/color] Button1.Click

[color=blue]Dim[/color] lst [color=blue]As[/color] [color=blue]New[/color] [color=#2b91af]List[/color]([color=blue]Of[/color] [color=blue]Integer[/color])

[color=blue]For[/color] [color=blue]Each[/color] ctrl [color=blue]As[/color] [color=#2b91af]Control[/color] [color=blue]In[/color] [color=blue]Me[/color].Controls

[color=blue]If[/color] [color=blue]TypeOf[/color] ctrl [color=blue]Is[/color] [color=#2b91af]TextBox[/color] [color=blue]Then[/color]

[color=blue]If[/color] [color=blue]Not[/color] lst.Contains(ctrl.Text) [color=blue]Then[/color]
                   lst.Add(ctrl.Text)

[color=blue]Next[/color]

[color=blue]For[/color] [color=blue]Each[/color] element [color=blue]In[/color] lst
           MsgBox(element)
       [color=blue]Next[/color]

[color=blue]End[/color] [color=blue]Sub[/color] 

I tried this code, but the only element that answers to the method "contains" is the listbox.

I think it is due to vba in autocad, which is different from vb.net

VBA could use the Windows.Scripting.Dictionary object. That has a similar Dictionary.Exists to test if it is already present.

Though, it may be easier to just take RenderMan’s suggestion, or continue with Collections. I haven’t used Windows.Scripting.Dictionary in a VBA project but I doubt it would have much better performance over a custom “Exist” routine.

Dictionary objects do benefit from additional storage. If TextBox.Text were set as the Key, then Value could be incremented to keep track of the number of times it appears.

Edited by SEANT
added comment