Dash lines not showing up when printed

sparkyuk

Had this drawing sent to me , and I always like to show the lighting switch lines dashed, but the guy who did this drawing had all his lines solid, anyways I have tried to change them but no matter what line i choice non of them show up as dashed in paper space or when printed what has he done that is stopping this please ? :oops:

I have added just part of the drawing as it was to big for the whole drawing to upload here

Test.dwg

Tiger yes tried that and 2 of the lines did dash but not all,including the one in the drawing, the 3 I added to one side 2 of them changed, im quess who ever did the drawing in the first place may have used a diff prog to autocad and has set up some strange line scales then ? any other ideas to whats going on ?

am I right in thinking that its the NB_ME layer that you are talking about? It is not set to dashed in the file here. If i set it to DASHED and then change LTSALE to 0.5 it looks dashed.

The lighting circuits are drawn at an individual scale of 350. When I changed them back to 1 they became dashed. In fact I just selected all lines and arcs and changed their scales to 1 and they dashed. LTS for the drawing 15

Test.dwg

Yep, what Glen said. Line scale should never be set on individual lines. It is just one more place where you have to keep track of what you're doing.

Well thanks guys it would seem the guy who sent me this didnt know how it should be done i guess, so where in the drawing did you find the line scales for the lines please ?

I know it's wrong but we do our drawings at LTS 1 then individually scale the lines. Our previous CAD manager told us to draw that way and we've never got out of the habit. As nothing has ever gone wrong and we're the client as far as our drawings going out I doubt now we'll ever change unless I can go to my manager with good cast iron reasons and proof that it wouldn't go wrong.

Another stupid question why would you want to rescale the standard cad lines and cause this sort of problem in the first place and what would be the difference if all it will do will make a line solid instead of dashed ?

I think we had problems with lines rescaling when drawings were x-reffed into one another, it wasn't on my job and I wasn't involved, honest guv! Most of the people here at the time had no professional AutoCAD experience so we did what he told us supposing it was correct. Previously I had been using LTS but had never used AutoCAD for large scale projects just college projects and the odd house extension.

I never scale separate lines because then if I need to change the scale, I need to find what x-ref (I work with drawings with 10-15 x-refs in each, at least) the line is in, sometimes its nested a few steps and then change the linescale there. If I have all the lines to scale 1, and LTSCALE=1 in all drawings, then I can easily set LTSCALE in my last drawing and that affects everything. With PSLTSCALE set to 1 ofcourse.

IN the end, as long as you have a structure and everyone does it the same way, then either way will work.

Our engineers draw the LTS way as they have lines with text in them i.e. ----38----- indicating duct diameters, but we rarely x-ref their drawings into ours. Why they didn't tell us it was wrong way back then, especially as the engineer was the only other experienced CAD guy at the time. As I said it hasn't caused any problems so I would have trouble making everyone draw the accepted correct way now.

You might also like the attached lisp file, create your own lines. 8)

Tankman I couldnt get it to work could you please explain what to do as I would like to make my own lines for a project I'm working on, thanks in advance