dwg to pdf / pdf plotting

reyems

Can anyone explain to me why the dashed line (view area) changes on a page layout between plotting to pdf and plotting dwg to pdf? I have a title block that measures 16.25 x 10.25 that will print fine to pdf (for 17x 11). This same block will not print completely when using dwg to pdf.

In creating the page layout for pdf (only)the offset is .125 x .125. Once created, if I use this layout and then choose dwg to pdf as my plotter I do not have the ability to "fit to paper"

In creating the page layout for dwg to pdf the offset is .228 x .70. When bringing in the title block at 0,0 there is no way for this block to fit inside the dashed viewing line. The amount that this block extends beyond the top dashed line is way beyond what is available at the bottom.

Sorry for the long winded explanation. I have searched extensively for this answer and am lost. Hope this makes some sense.

The dashed line shows the margins of the paper, this changes between paper sizes as well as different printers/plotters.

You should never use Fit to Paper as that means you don't get a set scale on your drawing - which in drafting (not guiness, focus people!) is a big no-no!

You can change the margins in your Plotter Properties in the Plot window.

I don't really understand what you mean with "plottin to pdf and plotting dwg to pdf." Is it two different printers that you are referring to?

Tiger -thanks for responding so quickly. I agree with you about using the "fit to paper". My problem is that it was the only response I kept coming up with in my search. Listed under Printer / Plotter are the options "Adobe PDF" and "DWG to PDF". The main difference I see is the ability to have layers show up in the pdf when using DWG to PDF. What confuses me is why (since they are bother creating pdf) the margins of the paper changes!

However, since you pointed out that I can change those margins at the Plotter Properties, I have since solved the problem. I must choose ANSI Full Bleed B as my paper choice. Thank you so much for your help! (although I would still love to understand the logic behind these differences :?)

What confuses me is why (since they are bother creating pdf) the margins of the paper changes!

Because that is how it is setup. Explore your PC3 files and their paper sizes. You can adjust the margins.

We set most of our margins of the paper sizes to 0.0.

Glad that you got it sorted!

So you have in fact two different printers installed, Adobe PDF (which is an Adobe product) and DWGtoPDF (which is an Autodesk product). That they both produce PDFs is beside the point. If you look at two other printers, lets say a normal desktop printer that prints A4 and A3 and a big plotter that plots A1s - they also don't have the same margins set, even though they both produce paper-products. Its the same thing. The margins are settings within the plotter, and the plotters come from different sources. I have attached the margins from my DWGtoPDF-printer and PDFCreator-printer just for reference.

[ATTACH]26459[/ATTACH][ATTACH]26460[/ATTACH]

Thanks Tiger and thanks to RK also. Tiger, now that you have explained that it doesn't matter that they are both producing pdf's I can get my mind around this a little better...at least enough to realize that I need to pay more attention to margins! This site (and those who contribute their knowledge) is awesome!!